Chapter 4 - Summers End

“Come on Bell get on the bike,” Matt whined nearly giving up he has been trying to get me on the front handle bars of his push bike for the last 20 minutes.

“There is no way I’m getting on that,” I shouted off the front steps crossing my arms across my chest.

“Come on it’s the only way to get to my house,” Matt shouted back from his bike.

“No,” I yelled.

“Come on please,” he pulled the puppy dog face that I could never resist and he knew it.

“Fine,” I yelled back and reluctantly walked down the path to where he was sitting with his bike. “And how do you expect me to get on this?” I asked trying to figure it out myself.

“Step on the tire and push yourself up onto the bars, I’ll hold the bike still,” he instructed pointing out where to go.

“Okay, 3, 2, 1,” I said bracing myself for the jump, “Aaarrrrggghhhh!” I screamed coming off the bike. My dress went over my head as I fell off the bike; I was now laying on the ground my dress covering my face…hang on the dress is covering my face. I jumped up off my feet fixing my dress, by pulling it down off my face.

Matt just stood there on his bike laughing so hard I thought he would have a fit.

“Wasn’t funny,” I said brushing the dirt off my dress.

“Of course it wasn’t,” he tried to stop laughing but failed, “I’m sorry babe but that was just hilarious,” he finished.

“Well if you think I’m getting on that thing again; you can think again,” I informed him crossing my arms across my chest, “Why couldn’t you have just brought your car,” I whined.

“It wouldn’t have been an adventure though babe,” he said in his sweet voice.

“It would’ve saved my dress and dignity,” I spat out.

“Come just one more try and if it doesn’t work we’ll walk,” he begged. Oh how could I resit that smile and eyes. Why must I be so week.

“FINE!! But if I fall off again we are walking,” I gave up. Praying to god that I didn’t fall off again. I mean once is a mistake, twice is well just embarrassing. I walked over to the bike and took my position to get on the bike.

“Now do the same thing…but don’t fall off,” he just had to add that last bit didn’t he, I turned around to punch his arm. “Oww, what was that for,” he asked ‘innocently’.

“You know what for,” I muttered.

“Okay, 3, 2, 1,” Success I thought, at least I didn’t fall off this time.

“Now that’s all you needed to do,” he said impressed.