•A Scandal in Belgravia: Part One•

Chapter One: Saved by a Ring

I closed my eyes to avoid John's look, completely ready for the explosion. The chills I previously held melted into a small sweat as Sherlock and John looked at Jim and I.

Then, the silence we formed collapsed under a ringtone. I heard Jim slack, but I was too afraid to move.
"Do you mind if I get that?" He asked, and took his arm off my waist. If his other arm wasn't around my throat I would've collapsed to my knees.
"No, no please. You've got the rest of your life." Sherlock said, and still holding me, Jim brought out his phone and answered it.

"Hello?" He said through the phone. I could hear someone talking but not what they were saying.
"Yes of course it is what do you want?" He asked, and I looked to John and Sherlock. John still gazed at me with a look that resembled a lost dog. Suddenly, in what seemed like rage, Jim let go of me, and I felt to my knees.

"Say that again!" He yelled, and I flinched, covering my head with my arms. "Say that again and know that if you're lying to me, I will find you and I will ssskin you." he threatened, dragging the "s" in "skin". Moving my arms, I looked up, knowing he was speaking to the other line, and met John's eyes, that were only on me. The begged me to go to him, but I shook my head.
No, not yet. Who knows what he'll do next. I thought.

He then began to walk forward, lowering his gun. I turned and backed off, trying to keep out of his way.
"Sorry. Wrong day to die." Jim said, then looked back to his phone. His eyes flickered to me for a moment before dropping another note to my foot, where Sherlock and John couldn't see. He then turned to walk away.
"You'll be hearing from me, Sherlock." he said, then brought his phone back to his ear.
"So if you have what you say you have, I will make you rich. If you don't, I'll make you into shoes." He continued as he walked toward a door. Jim then raised his free hand and snapped his fingers.

My hand snatched the note in front of me, but before I could put it in my pocket, John came up behind me, his breathing more heavy than mine.
"Oh my god." he said, embracing me. "What happened there?"
"Someone changed his mind." Sherlock said, coming to us. I opened the note, out of John and Sherlock's sight, reading:
Until next time, Aspen
*
I woke in 221, from the dream that haunted me of the night in the pool. I remember John asking me what had happened, and how I had lied to him through the call earlier. I couldn't find any words then to explain what had happened, mostly because it was something not worth reliving.

I quickly got dressed and walked out of the flat, not interested in another day full of listening to people tell Sherlock their problems they want him to solve. I opened my treasure box where I kept the bands I used for my hair, and saw the items at the bottom. Taking them out sent a shiver down my spine as I recalled the night after the pool. There were some of the small metal trapezoids, rectangles and triangle shapes that were sharp at the edge. I picked the one I had used that night to try and leave the hurt behind.

"Aspen?" I heard from John, and instantly threw it on the bed, the metal sliding safely under the blanket.
"What?" I asked, trying to avoid sounding annoyed. It's been difficult, but I've managed to convince him that the encounter with Jim changed me, instead of grating down my spirit even more. One of the most difficult parts was hiding what I did behind the scenes, like that night.
"It's the weekend, do you want to do anything?" He asked, leaning against the threshold with his shoulder.

"Nah, I'm fine." I said, then pasted on a smile. He returned the favour. "I know you two are dying to hear more clients today anyway."
"Absolutely." he said, then laughed as he went back to the kitchen.

"I think I'll go to the hospital." I said to myself, as if he was still there.
*
"Hey Molly." I said, walking into the hospital.
"Aspen! Hey!" She greeted while zipping up some bodies in bags.
"Hey." I said, smiling a bit.
"How've you been?" She asked.
"Good, I guess." I said, putting on my coat.
"Great." she said, then resumed her work.
"Great." I repeated.

Several weeks later

The first few weeks into the summer holidays were a blur. All I could remember was following John and Sherlock around on their cases, and still speaking to Wyatt every so often. One night, I found myself in a theatre with Sherlock, John and Lestrade, trying to get out.

"They mostly want pictures of you two." Lestrade was explaining. I glanced at the police that were wandering the theatre.

"Here, wear this." Sherlock said and threw a hat at John. "I'm a private detective. The last thing I need is a public image. That'll do, Aspen." Sherlock said, and I looked up to my cap that had the United Kingdoms flag on it.

"Oh- I'll meet you outside." I said, taking it off.
"Fine- whatever. Come on John. Cover your face and walk fast." were Sherlocks last words before they emerged outside into the media-infested crowd. I glanced down at my cap before putting it back on and walking out in the other direction, away from the mess outside.