•A Scandal In Belgravia: Part Five•

Chapter Five: First Impressions

Sherlock gripped my shoulders as the doorbell to a White House rang. Half of my vision was clear, whilst the other half was distorted like a kaleidoscope.
"Hello?" A voice came from the intercom, and I felt a punch in my side from Sherlock. I tried not to flinch at the growing seat of pain, which I know is to elicit tears. I can assure him, it worked.
"Ooh! Um- sorry to disturb you- um... My daughter and I- we've just been attacked!" He stuttered, and my mind did a double take.
"Excuse me?" I clenched through the pinch he still gave me, but he didn't listen.
"Um-and-they took my wallet- and her phone- please can you help us?" He continued, and I realised my phone wasn't in my back pocket anymore. I took off my glasses and quietly searched my pockets for it- it was nowhere to be found.

"I can phone the police if you want." the woman said, and I felt Sherlock release me from the pinch.
"Thank you! Thank you!" He said, tearfully. "Could you please?"
"Thanks, dad." I muttered, rubbing my side.
"Oh, would you-would you mind if we waited here, in case they come? Thank you so much." he begged, them wiped his face with a handkerchief.

The woman buzzed us in, and I notice John has followed us.
"I saw it all happen. She's my niece as well so yeah." John scrambled. "It's okay, I'm a doctor. now have you got a first aid kit?"
"In the kitchen." the woman said, looking at me before leading John into the kitchen.
Sherlock and I went to the great room, after he had taken off his coat. I sat away from him on the couch, closer to the door as he held the handkerchief to his cheek where he was beaten.

"Sorry to hear you and your daughter were hurt. I don't think Kate caught your name." I heard a different voice speak from outside as I stated at the curtains drawn from the window.
"So sorry- I'm-" Sherlock started, looking past me, but stopped in his tracks. He glanced at me before returning his look to the woman. I looked behind me to see a sight that wasn't shocking but wasn't expected. With the exception of her high heels, the woman was, well um- naked.

My eyes widened and I shifted my gaze to the table in front of the table.
"Oh it's always hard to forget an alias when you've had a fright?" She asked after a while, before walking over to Sherlock. I closed my eyes and looked down before she could pass my sight, but that didn't stop her from patting my head. I flinched and stood up, opening my eyes, and focusing on Sherlock.
"Aspen. Well I'm gonna go check on John and the aids first kit - first aid kid - sorry." I stuttered, then made my way out and to the kitchen.

I actually passed John while I was trying to find him, and he stopped me.
"Hey you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost." he said, gently grabbing my arm. I noticed how he held a bowl of water and a napkin.
"Fine, John." I said, my shoulders rising a bit.
"Oh, here." he said, and gave me my phone. "Sherlock said to hold on to it, but it looks like it'll be okay with you." he said, then went on his way. I debated to follow him or not, but in hesitation, did. However, I only stopped by the doorway so it would be I didn't see the scene in there.

I heard John force a laugh. "Um could you put something on, please? Anything at all. A napkin." John asked.
"Why? Are you feeling exposed?" The woman asked.
"I don't think John knows where to look." Sherlock said to both of them.
"I think he knows exactly where to look." The woman replied, "then again he's just looking after his niece. Is that right? I mean, I'm not sure about you."
"If I wanted to look at naked women is borrow John's laptop." Sherlock said
"You do borrow my laptop." John said, then gestured me in. I hesitated, but he gave me a nod of approval.

"So how was it done?" The woman asked as I walked in and leaned against the wall near the door. "The hiker with the bashed in head. How was he killed?"
"That's not why I'm here." Sherlock said, puzzled.
"No you're here for the photographs, but that's never going to happen, and since we're just chatting away-"
"That story hasn't been on the news yet. How would you know about it?" I chimed in.
"I know one of the policemen. Well I know what he likes." she said, then smirked at me.