•The Reichenbach Fall: Part Three•

Chapter Twenty-Four: Rekindle

The city of London seemed to be ignorant of the drama unfolding from the courtroom. I didn't hail a cab, I just walked the street. Pulling out the hat, I placed it on my head so that there would be one less burden to hold in my hands. Because I had emerged from my thoughts, I noticed the honking of horns and brushing of tires against the road. I noticed the chatter of every couple and human who passed me. What felt strange was how aware it was. The atmosphere was uneasing, churning my core into a knot. It was as if everyone was staring at me, with knowledge of my whole life.

It only quickened my pace, and soon I was on the block of 221.
Once I approached the door, I headed inside, feeling asylum at last. I trekked up the stairs, and into the living room of the flat. What I saw was something unexpected.
"Lucy?" I asked.
My friend was sitting on our couch, gawking around the room.

"Your landlady showed me in. I must say it is nicer than your mother's flat. I was thinking we could go out, maybe catch up! But it seems you're preoccupied." My friend explained, standing up.
"No, just- it's been a long morning." I said, and threw my coat and hat onto the arm of the sofa.
"Give me a minute." I told her, then headed into the bedroom to change.

Once I had thrown on more casual clothes like jeans and a sleeved shirt, I met her outside the flats.
"So, I assume you want me to tell you about my life without you here." I said, folding my arms as we walked.
"Aspen, you sound like you've been through hell." Lucy joked, and I twitched a smile, feeling my stomach churn. She always had a mouth that worked faster than her mind, much different than myself. We were polar opposites, as if our appearances hadn't explained that.

"You never know." I said, tucking piece of my hair behind my ear. "Just like I never knew you would leave."
"Hey, cut me some slack, I didn't have a choice. My grandparents wanted me to take the opportunity. If I could have taken you I would've." She defended.
"All I'm saying is that you always have a choice. People just try to drill justice into your head so you believe that choice is right. Sometimes they have no idea the effect it has on others." I said, feeling my resentment towards the trial and John be taken out on my friend.

"Aspen, are you okay? You're acting like an adult." Lucy said, stopping at a cafe seat and sitting. I mirrored her actions.
"I'm not far off." I said, playing with my sleeves.
As much as I wanted to reconnect with my friend, my mind wouldn't leave the courtroom.
A silence came over, and I looked up to see my friend staring at me with confusion.
"What?" I asked.
"You don't have to be so hostile." She told me.
"I'm sorry, it's just-" I began, but stopped when a red flag rose in my mind. Did I really want to burden her with what I had been through these past few months? I wanted to tell her, desperately, but it wouldn't benefit me in any way.

"School, you know?" I continued, and and she smirked, nodding her head.
'Yeah,' I thought, 'please smile and be innocent to the horrors I've seen.'
"I know what you mean. Trying to fit back into school here is rough, but I expect to be submerged fully by the end of this week." She explained, her red nails tracing the pattern of the table.
"What about you? Will you tell me now what you've been up to? Anything happen to you?" She asked once more.

"Nothing happens to me." I said, "I'm living with my uncle and his flatmate, and life goes on."
"His 'flatmate?'" She chuckled, "I didn't expect John to be like that."
"Heh no he isn't. At least not what I've seen." I added, then winked at my friend. She laughed, and I did as well, feeling something like joy in me for a moment.

"Oh god, Aspen, I hope you never change." She remarked.

The both of us spoke for what seemed like hours, thinking tea and catching up. I carefully avoided any specific questions about how my personal life was, with rather statements about school or something.

"Lucy, tell me why you came back again?" I asked, placing my cup down on the glass table.
She thought for a moment, then pulled her dark blonde hair to the side, followed by resting her head on her palm.
"I guess my time was up in America. I missed my family here, and my friends, like you and everyone else. Just this morning my brother was explaining how 'I was never leaving again or all hell would break loose.' Plus, I'd much rather stay in one country at a time, thank you very much." She explained, and I absorbed every word. "Why? Did you miss me?"

I chuckled. "Absolutely not."
'Yes you did you ungrateful can.' I thought, then felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.
"One moment." I said, then stood, answering the call.
"Hello?"
"Aspen, my god where are you?" My uncle's voice chimed.
"Not at the flat. I'm out with my friend." I said.
"You never told me you were going to leave! Please come home. I'm bailing Sherlock at the moment. You're lucky you left. He got irritatingly clever and smart arsey." The man complained.
"Yes sir." I said, then hung up.

"I gotta go." I said to my friend, and she nodded.
"Cool beans. My ride is here anyway. See you around." She said, then headed off.

I sighed, then glanced at my phone.
"Really?" I asked it, as if it was my uncle.
However, something inside wished I had been there to witness Sherlock out-smart the prosecution. I smirked at the thought as I headed home.