Return To Father

Heading down the trail leading to the house, Izuku dimly watched the bunny hopping along. The darkness made it harder to see, though it was a good thing his hair glowed when he sang.

As soon as he lost light and entered the forest, he began to sing the one song he knew, repeating it when finished so that he had light longer. His hair proved well as a light source, glowing about one metre ahead.

The gravel crunched under his bare feet, sending shocks of pain. Surely he was bleeding. He wanted to stop and take a break. But he couldn't as that would be selfish.

Just a few more minutes, he told himself, whispering the song lyrics.

As soon as he started on the journey, he remembered the set of clothes Koshi had that was his. She told him she would give it back. It was too late; he was already gone. If he went to retrieve the articles; who knew how long it would take to find them? Hitoshi would probably be awake by then.

And Hitoshi probably is now. Frantically looking-

Izuku gritted his teeth. No, he told himself, no more crying. He can cry and sob in front of his dad.

One more step, one more step, one more step, he kept telling himself.

Exhaustion and pain overcame him. He winced and whimpered as he sang, stuttering.

One more step.

One more-

He crumbled into a ball, muscles tightening up. Knees flared in pain, feet, legs, everything hurt.

Pain pain pain.

So much pain.

The bunny stopped, looking back at him, curious why the song stopped.

Izuku's mouth felt so dry, the forest noise filling his ears.

Darkness surrounded him.

No more light- no more green.

The gravel poked into his skin, dirt messing up Hitoshi's PJs.

Bright light welcomed his eyes when he opened them.

He was home.

Light from the front door shined onto him.

The door was open–a shadow in the middle.

The bunny was gone.

Dad–the shadow was coming, walking with elegance.

He felt hands touching his arms, pulling him into a solid chest.

Something comfy.

He was home.

"I'm sorry," Izuku whispered hoarsely, mouth running dry, lips chapped.

A voice spoke, so soft and gentle. Dad's voice. "I'm just thankful you're okay." Izuku felt tears already dripping, and his head pounded.

Hands gripped his waist, pulling him up, legs leaving the ground. Izuku rested his head on dad's shoulder–too tired to do anything else. His arms hung uselessly, doing nothing but limping around.

The solid chest felt grounding, making his mind clear. Dad shifted back and forth, rocking Izuku into a ball. He used his strength–practically gritting his teeth- to wrap his legs around dad's chest, nuzzling into the solid chest.

The creaking sound of the door swung close, locks clicking shut.

Izuku was home.

Air conditioning blows through the vents, sending shots of shivers.