177 | Campbell's Jewel

"YOUR YOUNGEST SON, FELIX, his IQ is incredible. I have not seen someone with such intelligence before. He will surely bring your family great power and wealth if properly trained." That were the exact words that Felix heard from an old man who was talking to their parents on his 6th birthday.

     Ever since then, everything in Felix's life changed.

     Felix grew up as a smart boy. Kids his age were playing puzzles and reading picture books, but Felix, as young as seven, could already memorize an entire chapter of a classical book he read once.

     His family loved him, and everyone who would meet him would praise him, stating that he was his family's greatest jewel. His parents would even invite guests over, showing off their son who was extraordinarily different from the rest.

     Because of how special Felix was, his grandfather even declared him the heir even though he was the youngest among four children. For a while, Felix felt that specialness, but what was once an act of pride and love eventually turned into greed. His family wanted more from him. He was forced to attend classes day and night at the age of nine, had a private tutor, and was even sent to attend lectures at a university when he was only twelve. He was also being guarded almost 24/7 because of his family's fear that something would happen to their precious jewel, and for the longest time, Felix thought that it was normal.

     Felix grew up knowing that he was the best because of how his family treated him. Even though he was treated unfairly, snatching away his only chance to enjoy his childhood, Felix acted like the perfect child for them. But as time passed by, Felix ended up learning a different...personality, and that personality became his coping mechanism. That's how he developed his two-faced persona.

     When Felix turned fourteen, president Janus Sinclaire visited their mansion and gave him an invitation to enroll in J.S High. Since J.S High is a school where a lot of heirs study, Felix was forced to enroll despite his vocal disapproval.

     Felix didn't want to enroll in J.S High because he knew that he wasn't going to learn anything there. But for the sake of his parent's wishes, he eventually agreed.

     When he officially became a student of J.S High, he hid his other personality and studied as a regular student before getting recruited by Crazy 8. Felix was set to graduate without making a name for himself. After being praised his entire life, he decided that he was going to live as an invisible boy without any known achievement as an act of rebellion against his family. It was the least he could do after everything they'd done to him.

     That was supposed to be the plan, but then...

     "What's your name kid?" A boy asked during the first day of his second year in J.S High.

     That boy was none other than Maximilian Leigh Sinclaire.

     Max was a powerful heir that Felix once met at a gala. Felix always thought of himself as greater than the rest, but when he met Max, for the first time in his life, he felt less than him, and that feeling excited him.

     Max was the only boy who Felix could never be able to run past. He was always going to be above him, and that realization made him understand something important...

     He wasn't as special as his family thought he was.

     Max took him as a friend and showed him what life is really about. He showed him what failure is, failure that was nowhere near embarrassing, and then success that one can truly be proud of. He saw how Max wasn't afraid to bow on his knees and accept defeat. Max wasn't as smart as he was, and he was nowhere near perfect, yet Felix felt so little beside him.