24 (part two)

Avery POV
August 5, 2022

"Hey, we almost ready in here?" Marshall asked as he swung the door open to the trailer as the girls and I continued to finish my hair and makeup. "You can't rush something like this" Hai said as she continued to blend my makeup. Marshall quickly made eye contact with me through the mirror as I let out a small smile, "how you feeling, baby?" he asked as he softly grazed his fingers across my skin. "I'm a little nervous" I said before taking another sip of whatever was mix in the cup for me.

He nodded, "how many drinks have the girls made you already?" he asked as he pressed his tongue to his cheek, before looking up to the girls. "That's only her second drink" Lane said defending her actions, "she needs a little liquid courage to loosen her up" she said as Marshall rolled his eyes. "Where's Tay?" he asked as he looked around the trailer, "Matt and Evan took her for a walk" Hai said as Marshall tensed up. "With all those people out there?" he asked as the tone of his voice changed. "You know they would never let anything happen to her" Lane said as she furrowed her eyebrows, "she was just getting fussy, so they offered" I said as I reassured him.

Marshall cleared his throat and ran his hand over his chin, "there's only a couple more people in the line up before us" he said, "please be ready, okay?" he said as he squeezed my hand before walking out of the trailer, and closing the door behind him. "Why was dad being so weird when we told him that Matt and Evan took Tay?" Hai asked, "they are with her all the time" she said as I let out a small sigh. "Its about protection, Hai" I said before there was a small silence.

"And I'm more than positive that he's been like this your whole lives" I said as I fumbled with my wedding rings. "Avery, did something happen?" Lane asked cautiously as we made eye contact in the mirror. I nodded. "I feel like something's always happening, I feel like it always leaves him walking on eggshells" I said softly.

"What happened?" Lane asked. I sighed, "when we left y'all to go to soundcheck, I told him I would meet him backstage because I wanted to get something from the food trucks. I thought nothing of it, and the food trucks were still in his line of vision" I said. "I got backstage and Jack started to follow me, and flirt with me" I said softly. "Harlow??" the girls asked in unison. I nodded again, "Denaun and your father, came backstage and saw everything. Your father just wants to make sure we're all protected, and I don't blame him. I was minding my own business and shit hit the fan"

"Does he know you're married, to dad?" Lane asked. "Did dad hit him?" Hai asked.

I let out a small laugh, "no, he didn't hit him" I said as I shook my head. "But I gave Jack some kind of grace, because before your father and I announced our relationship, no one assumed we were together. And I don't meet every artist he works with, I literally see the same five to ten people in his inner circle" I said as I shrugged. "He was still wrong for assuming you weren't with someone" Lane said as she rolled her eyes. "Yes, but what girl isn't ready to throw themselves at a musician, at a festival like this?" I asked as I let out a laugh.

Hai raised an eyebrow, "you never threw yourself at dad" she said as I let out a sly smile, "its all a game, I treated your dad like he was normal. Like he wasn't this famous rapper" I said, "and he came back for more" I said as I got up and slipped off Marshall's Detroit Piston's t shirt and into my outfit for the show. "What do you think?" I asked as I turned around. "Its not over the top, its casual and the mid drift is the right amount of tease" Lane said as I let out a smile.

"I'm pretty sure your father would appreciate that I picked a outfit, where I'm not half naked in front of a crowd" I said as I grabbed my solo cup and opened the door to the trailer. Nerves filled my stomach as we walked to the stage area, quickly chugging down the last of whatever the girls had mixed for me. Marshall had caught a glimpse of me out of the corner of his eye, "hey, ma" he said as he pulled me into him. "I think I missed a couple performances, didn't I?" I asked as his hands became touchy.