14 (part three)

[MATURE] 18+

Avery POV

"Towns like this are my favorite" I said as we continued to walk down Main Street. Marshall let out a low chuckle, "why you laughing?" I asked, "because, neither of the towns you live in are like this" he said as I pursed my lips. "Trust me, I know that" I said as he pulled me into him.

"Maybe one day, when I'm officially retired and Tatum is Hai's age, we can move to a small town like this" Marshall said as he shrugged. I quickly tried to swallow the lump that was stuck in my throat, I was completely caught off guard by everything he had said. Marshall would be nearing his seventies when Tatum would be in her twenties. Yes it would be reality, but he was putting everything into perspective.

"Av?" Marshall said, completely snapping me out of my thoughts. I cleared my throat, "yeah?" I said. "You wanna do some more shopping, or you done for the day?" he asked as he ran his hand across my lower back. I sighed, "I- I need a drink" I said as I tugged him into one of the local bars.

There was barely anyone around, but thick smoke still lingered in the air as the lights were all dimmed low. "Booth or bar, baby?" I asked as I turned to Marshall. "Bar is fine" he said as he took my hand, and led me over to the bar. "What can I get y'all?" the bartender asked leaning over toward us.

"Dry martini, extra olives" I said as I jumped at the question. Marshall cleared his throat, "uh, can I get a diet coke please?" he asked as I leaned into him. "I love you" I said softly, "you more" he said as he brushed his nose against mine.

After a few drinks in, I felt the buzz and I was enjoying my time with Marshall. "I think I'd rather see you on that stage, baby" he said as he directed his attention toward me, before he pointed to the guy doing an acoustic set. I furrowed my eyebrows, "have you lost your mind?" I asked as I shook my head. "Why not?" he asked, "there's no one in here, and liquid courage always helps" he said as he kissed on my neck gently.

"Any requests tonight?" I heard the guy on stage asked as I called out, drawing the attention to myself. I felt my face flush as I stood up and walked over to his set up, "Trevor" he said as he put his hand out to shake, "Avery" I said before giving him a small smile. "You think I could play this guitar?" I asked as he nodded.

I grabbed it and started to tune it before sitting down. "We're gonna sing a little something, by one of my favorites tonight, Ms. Miranda Lambert" I said as I started to strum on the guitar.

No bartenders
No guitars with b benders, No two steppin' shuffles
No shiny belt buckles, No saw dust in sight
No Cold Lone Star Light
Well they've mopped all the floors, locked all the doors
And turned out the lights

Y'all they've close down honky tonks and now my world ain't turning
The jukebox ran out of change and the neon lights aint buzzing
Their aint nothin' sadder than covering Haggard and nobody singing along
Y'all they've close down the honky tonks

I continued to sing but I could feel the energy in the room change, like it did the day I decided to get in the booth with Marshall.

There's no broken spoke
Dim lights or thick smoke
No more rowdy and reckless, no more Billy Bob's Texas
No more barstool backsliding, No more Gillley's bull riding
No more last call, No boots in Gruene Hall
Damn, that aint right

Y'all they've closed down the honky tonks and now my world aint turning

I finished, clearing my throat nervously as I set the guitar down quickly making my way back to Marshall as everyone started hollering and calling for more. I started to chug the last of my drink as I tried to calm my nerves. "You okay?" he asked as he ran his hand across my back. I nodded, shyly, "hearing you sing, just does something to me" he said as he nuzzled his head into my neck.