03

Marshall POV
One week later

A small smile came across my face as I caught a glimpse of Avery walking up and down the hallway, "what are you doing, ma?" I asked. She let out a small sigh, "this is the only way she'll stop crying"

I pressed my tongue to my cheek, "I wouldn't cry either if my face was in your tits all day" I said as Avery rolled her eyes. "She cries because there's always someone holding her, and then the second you go to put her down she pitches a fit"

I pulled Avery into me, "everything is going to be okay" I said, "now let me get a picture real quick cause these little boots are killing me" I said as I pulled my phone out. 

--

--

Avery POV

"Daddy's excited to bring you to the studio today" I heard Marshall say as he grabbed Tatum's carrier from the backseat, "there's just one thing, never under any circumstance do we listen to Paul" 

"Marshall" I said as I rolled my eyes, closing the car door. "What?" he said as he let out a laugh, as we walked into the studio, seeing them all enthralled in something on the soundboard. "Hey, someone here is ready to meet her uncles" Marshall said as he set Tatum's carrier down on the couch as they all turned around. 

I let out a laugh, "I've never seen grown men, turn around fast enough" I said as I took a seat on the adjacent love seat. They all watched intently as Marshall unbuckled her, "who wants to hold her first?" he asked as he cradled her. "That would be Uncle Curt" he said, with the biggest smile as he took her and sat back down. Denaun rolled his eyes, "don't be a baby hog, I wanna hold her next" he said before continuing  to mess with something on the soundboard. It was surreal to me, watching some of the biggest rappers in the music industry fight over holding a baby girl, and she has no clue.

"And, how is mama feeling?" Dre asked as he sat next to me on the couch. I shrugged, "slowly recovering, its still only a week postpartum you know?" I said. "Marshall will barely let me do anything" I said as Dre let out a laugh, "he shouldn't, you just had that boys baby"

I let out a small smile, as Paul walked into the studio looking down at his phone unphased and definitely sucked into whatever was going on, on his phone. Marshall shook his head and grabbed Tatum from Denaun as he cleared his throat, making Paul look up. "I thought I sensed trouble" 

"But this sweet little thing looks just like her mama, she's precious" he said as he caressed Tatum's face. Marshall playfully rolled his eyes, "alright, we listen to him sometimes" he said as he softly kissed on Tatum. Paul let out a chuckle, "the last thing I need is another Mathers, who doesn't listen" 

"Its not that I don't listen.." Marshall said as Dre rolled his eyes at their usual banter. 

"So, Avery" Dre said as he continued our conversation, "I saw the videos of you at the Superbowl and you were really spittin' those bars" 

"And not missing a beat!" Curt added in. I quickly furrowed my eyebrows, "w- what videos?" I asked. "Porter sent me a few, but I did see a few circling Instagram and Twitter a few weeks back" Dre said as sat back, crossing his arms. I made eye contact with Denaun, "oh, really?" I asked as he let out a nervous laugh. 

"I'm sorry, but Avery I couldn't help myself but you were killing that shit" he said softly. Paul furrowed his eyebrows, "yeah, what the heck Avery, I thought we were cool?" he asked as I let out a laugh. "You can sing and you're holding out on me?" Paul asked as I shrugged, "I don't like singing in front of anyone" 

"Marshall did you know this?" Paul asked. He nodded, "I found out on the honeymoon, but she told me the same thing" he said as I crossed my arms. "If I go in the booth, right now with Marshall, will that get everyone's nut sack out of a twist?" I asked. 

The silence in the studio thickened, before Marshall handed Tatum to Denaun before he took my hand in his, as I followed him into the booth. "Need Me" I said softly. The music started and I came in softly..

You're drunk, the carpet is burned
I hate to find you like this
I always find you like this
I come home and clean up your mess
What would you do without that?
Why do I always come back?
Oh, what I wouldn't do for you

I could immediately see everyone's eyes light up within the first verse. But to keep focused, I just shut my eyes tight, letting myself feel the music.

I'm startin' to think that that maybe you need me
Maybe you need me
Maybe you need me
And I'm startin' to think that maybe you need me
Maybe you need me
Maybe you need me

Some nights I want to run for the hills
It's never easy with you
I cannot reason with you
But your smile is as rare as it comes
What would I do without that?
Maybe that's why I come back
Oh, what I wouldn't do for you"

This song was filled with so much lust, heartbreak and just downright gut wrenching for love that Marshall and I felt it. The out pour of emotion that we poured into that booth was almost overwhelming. Before his verse Marshall pulled me into him, letting me feel every inch of him.

"Startin' to think we were made for each other
But one of us in this relationship is raisin' the other
You remind me of my mother
We drive one another crazy as eachother
And we're both adults, so there's no excuse
For the games that we play with each other
Where you at, at a friends? No you ain't motherfucker
Whenever the doubt kicks in, shiver when I touch her'
Cause I love her so much, I'm a sucker

How her bottom lip can quiver when she's in trouble
She's in hot water, think I caught her cheatin' again
Give her another chance? Another one after that?
I'm swimming in the Egyptian river cause I'm in denial
Say I don't eat shit, but I got a shit-eatin' grin when I smile

Makin' an excuse for us to act it out
She's just actin' out with her inner child
Then I set the truth on fire

'Cause I'd rather believe a lie
Then I breathe a sigh of relief, I don't believe in
Goin' to bed mad, I keep on tryin' tomake a bad girl good
But haven't I stood by you in good times? And bad?
I'm startin' to feel like your goddamn dad'

Cause I literally feel like you could die if ever should I
Leave you for good and never would I
It'd be all bad,
never understood why they call it goodbye
But I think I'm a pretty damn good guy
And you're a good person too
I can save you, I can make you change
But I keep puttin' my fuckin' foot in my mouth
Every time I gotta come and bail you out

When you get in trouble that you get yourself in
I'm in trouble, but I can't leave, I'll sell you out
I could never turn my fuckin' back on you—what is that?
I'm co dependent, I'm just now noticing it
But somehow it's like every time I'm about to go to end it
I ain't got the cojones to do it, not the heart
Our apartment's tore apart
But God must've aligned stars for us
'Cause somebody paired us up
And they say He ain't capable of makin' a mistake
But this one's perfect, 'cause I'm—"

"I'm startin' to think that maybe you need me
Maybe you need me
And I'm startin' to think that maybe you need me
Maybe you need me
Maybe you need me"

Marshall softly kissed me, intensifying the kiss as the song ended. I wasn't gonna lie, the booth was a magical and intense place, and no feeling could replicate it, well maybe one feeling.