Chapter 40

"It's not safe for you here, Miss Kimber

"It's not safe for you here, Miss Kimber."

I gave Roberts a stern glare. "And why not?"

The other Birmingham Boys shifted uncomfortably. They still weren't used to obeying me, even after all these weeks.

"Your father made enemies in London," he said. "If Sabini's gang—"

"It would appear my father's made enemies through all of England. Tell me, has this Sabini kidnapped me, held me hostage?"

Roberts glanced to the floor. "No, Miss."

"No," I repeated. "Who was that, again?"

I almost felt a pang of guilt as I watched the man squirm. "The Peaky Blinders, Miss."

"The Peaky Blinders," I agreed. "So why don't you cut to the chase and tell me what the real issue is. People unhappy about the commute? Fuel expenses not looking good on the books?"

"Actually, Miss Kimber, a few more expenses would be in your favour," spoke someone I hadn't met before.

I narrowed my eyes at him. He was young. Handsome enough, with strong bone structure and windswept hair. But there was something familiar about him, something I couldn't quite place. Something I didn't trust.

"Michael Gray," he introduced himself. "I'm assisting Roberts."

I didn't acknowledge him. "I thought we'd decided against hiring anyone new?"

Roberts spoke quickly. "Actually, Miss Kimber, I'm unable to work on your father's case and run the accounts at the same time. Michael will be your accountant while I am indisposed."

This irritated me, though I couldn't figure out why. Perhaps my guard was raised after so much time spent with the Shelby's and learning what this world was truly like. Perhaps it was because I already felt I wasn't being taken seriously enough, my father's men only appearing to appease me, while they went behind my back and disregarded my decisions anyway. Treating me like a child.

"When are our next races?" I asked, ignoring the news.

Roberts looked slightly taken aback at my interest before answering. "Saturday, Miss."

"Send me any documentation about the event," I said. "It's a big day for us. I'd like to be prepared."

"I'll have them with you by this evening," Michael spoke. He smiled at me politely.

"Was there anything else?" I asked.

I stood to my feet, behind the desk that had once been my father's. Still is, I chastised myself. He'd be out of prison soon, and back here in his rightful place, leaving me...

Where would that leave me?

Women and business don't mix, he'd always said.

"Not for now, Miss." Roberts began fidgeting to leave, and thankfully the handful of other, silent men did the same. "Though, I must urge you to reconsider moving back to Birmingham. Perhaps the races in the midlands this weekend will warm you back up to the place."

"Perhaps." I gave Roberts a polite smile as he left. "Michael. A word?"

He appeared not to hear me at first, turning to leave before registering what I'd said, as though he'd forgotten his own name. Strange. I took my time sitting back down, straightening piles of paperwork until the rest of the Boys had cleared.

"I suppose I'd better get to know my new accountant," I said. "My father and Roberts are so close, after all."

"What would you like to know, Miss?" Michael asked, awkwardly setting down his briefcase and taking a seat as I did the same.

"You're awfully young. This might be the first time my father's employed someone younger than me. Or maybe I'm finally getting old." I smiled, but curiosity lingered beneath the pleasantry.

"I needed work, Miss. I ran into Roberts down the pub and made a good enough impression."

"You're from Birmingham, then?"

"Not originally. I grew up in the countryside. Moved to be closer to my family."

I smoothed my skirts with my hands. "And how are you finding the drive to London for work? As inconvenient as the rest of them?"

"I don't have a car, Miss. I take the train."

"Even worse."

Michael shrugged. "I'd prefer to be closer to home. Who wouldn't? But it's not an inconvenience. Your safety comes first."

I sighed. "You, at least, seem to understand the power of flattery better than the rest of them."

"They speak only highly of you behind closed doors, if that's any indication."

"Now I know you're lying." But I couldn't help a small, genuine smile, as a grin spread across Michael's own face. "Go on, get out of my sight. And bring me any information you have on Saturday's races."