Chapter Thirty-Three

Justin's P.O.V.

It's getting dark now. Ariya must be holed up somewhere. I don't think she'd risk running in the dark. She might lose her sense of direction or the coyotes or bears might get her. She knows there's coyotes out here; she's heard them. I found a water bottle tucked into a tree trunk about two hours ago. It was hidden well, so it had to be her. It's the same brand I left in the barn, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was her. That was a clever move though, something I would have done. This girl is more clever than I thought.

Mike has been calling with updates. He's got nothing, not even a small sign she went his way. I've told him to head into town to warn them she's on the run. I don't think she'll head to town, but there's always a possibility she'll try to call someone. She must know someone in that big city she lives in. I must be on the right track. At least the bottle suggests I am.

My cell rings again and I wonder if Mike has found anything. Rob's name flashes on the screen and I frown. What's he doing calling me? When I pick up, I hear him say, "Who was that, Mary?"

Mary replies, "A girl called Joanna..."

"Rob? What's going on?"

"You know you asked me to call if a saw or heard from that Brett guy? I think she was here instead. Well, I'm pretty sure it was her."

"Who? Ariya?"

"Yeah. I only saw a brief glimpse of her face, but I'm pretty certain it was her. She ran off before I could get close enough to see properly. She didn't acknowledge me or even glance back at her name, so I can't be one hundred percent certain... What was she doing here?"

"It probably was her. She's on the run. I'm tracking her and the trail I'm on could lead up to your place. I'm on my way now. Don't go anywhere."

I urge Star into a lope. I'm sure she's tired and I feel bad for her. She had a long cattle drive and now she's had an extra hard day. Poor horse.

It takes me nearly two hours to get to Rob's. I had to slow down a little because I didn't want to burn Star out. I let her loose in Rob's corral and take her saddle and head stall off. She can rest while I sort this out.

Rob's on the porch when I come round to the front of the house.

"Come in, Justin."

Mary is in the living room when I step into the house. I greet her first and then get down to business.

"What happened?"

Mary speaks up, "I was bringing the washing in from the line when this girl stepped up to the back yard. She looked a mess, like she'd been in an accident."

I nod. "She didn't do anything to you, did she?"