Chapter 3

A few days later Becky received a phone call from Mr Edwards whilst I helped her prepare lunch. She looked really downcast as she spoke on the phone and I felt my heart sink a bit. I could already guess what Mr Edwards was saying. Part way through the conversation she took the phone from her ear and placed her free hand over the speaker.

"It seems Vincent Gauthier has refused to let us become your guardians. He's very keen on meeting you. He wants you to pack up your things and he will send you a ticket to meet him in Miami. What do you think Vio?"

I wasn't going to live with a man that my mom never trusted, it was also very obvious he never had any interest in my life, so no I had no interest in meeting him. But if he was written on my birth certificate I was unfortunately aware that I may not have much of a choice. I shook my head. 

Rebecca put Mr Edwards on loud speaker. And then said "Again we would have to disagree"

"I understand your worry but it is important to note that he is Violette's legal father and he has already threatened to get the courts involved" I watched Becky make a pained face, and I began to talk.

"Mr Edwards, I think I'm beginning to understand that there isn't much my aunt and uncle can do. But can you tell him that because it's been so soon since the accident- I want to stay here, at home for a little while longer"

'I'll talk to him again and see what I can do. And just on a personal note may I just say how maturely you have handled the situation"

"Thank You" I smiled to myself, People have often said that to me. 

We ended the conversation and I was silent for a while.

That night Lotte was sitting on her bed, Becky and Joe had been kind enough to let her stay in their spare room which belonged to their older son, Callum, who was at university. Zoe was sat on his desk chair and the two were just chatting to each other.

"Vio are your really going to leave for another continent?" Zoe looked really upset, which did make me feel sad, she was my best friend as well as family. 

"Hopefully I won't be going for a few months, and besides I will come back. As soon as possible" I told her the truth. I would come back home when I was 18.

Zoe went up to Violette and held out her pinkie. 

"You have to promise" Violette took it without hesitation. Zoe then flopped back down into her chair. I then thought to myself. It would be the last time here so I may as well. 

"Zoe, I think I might come back to school" It may seem like a silly idea but I want to make as many memories as possible before I leave, isn't that what people say.

"That would be awesome"

That made up my mind then, I would return to school. It felt weird not being there. Contrary to other students I enjoyed my classes. My father always said knowledge was food for the brain and that even though he didn't have many friends he loved learning. I guess I got that from him.

The next morning I asked Becky and Joe if it was okay. They felt it would be too soon but when I explained to them my reasoning they understood, but they also looked a little upset. They rang up the school to tell my head of year. She understood and asked if I needed to see the school therapist. Becky and Joe thought it would be good, but I declined the offer. I was also told that my teachers had been informed on what had happened and that if at any point I felt like leaving my class I could do so. That was kind of them.

The following Monday I walked into school with Zoe and got some strange looks off people in my classes. It must have been weird to see me after such a long time away. We both made our way through the courtyard to our first lesson which was geography. When we arrived Zoe gave me a massive hug as she was in the class opposite to mine. 

"Will you be okay?" I nodded my head 

"I'll be fine" She didn't look entirely convinced but I reminded her that I needed to speak to my teacher and she released her crab grip on me.

"Remember if you need me at any time I will run out of my classroom, no questions asked"

"You only need an excuse to leave your class" I laughed lightly

We both went to our classes. I knocked on the door of the room so I could speak to my teacher before class started. My geography teacher was an incredibly kind lady who asked me if I was okay and told me that I could leave the classroom at any point if I needed to. I thanked her and reassured her that I would probably be okay.

I sat down in my seat as the other students came in. I sat on a table of 5 other very talkative people. I may not be best friends with other students but I could still have conversations and laugh with them. 

"Hey there Violet" Not that any of them could get my name right. 

"Yo Charlie"

Charlie was one of the more popular boys but we just talked about anime together. At that point the rest of the people on my table came in and sat down. 

"Violet are you okay?"

"You haven't been in school in like forever"

"Why haven't you been in?" There were so may questions I couldn't keep up with them all. 

Charlie pipped up "She was kidnapped"

One of the girls called Ellie threw her pen lid at him "Don't be stupid, she wasn't kidnapped"

"Alright folks settle down" The teacher had thankfully started the lesson before they could ask any more questions. 

After class I made my way to Maths after Zoe gave me another hug and went to woodworking class scrunching her nose in disgust, she always injured herself in woodworking because she was so clumsy.

Most of the students were nice in my school, there were some that were bad but I just ignored them, you get stupid people in all schools. 

The Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday went pretty much the same way. The teachers were understanding, especially when I did have to leave a few times. Lucy and Jaz were happy to see me again on the Monday and they also gave me tight hugs. But then I had to explain what was happening with regards to where I was going to live and they got upset too. 

On the Thursday when I got back from school Mr Edwards phoned, having been in contact with Mr Gauthier again. Mr Gauthier said that he understood my worries and that he would allow me to stay in England with my aunt and uncle until the beginning of the winter break in two weeks. That was less time then I would have liked, but at least he understood.