19 - Kira

One month later.

I'm sitting at the doctor's office in town waiting for my turn. It has become a livelier town again and it almost seems like itself. I've taken over Kate's flower shop a couple of week ago. It's hard to learn about the books and stuff like that, but I love the job.

Not many comes in to buy from me but that's okay. It's not like I'm losing money on flowers. I just make sure not to grow to many of each and only have the necessary to make bouquets. If there's something I need, I go out back to the small patch of grass and grow it.

"Kira?" The doctor's voice snaps me out of my thoughts, and I look at her smiling face. "Huh?" She chuckles and says, "come on in."

"Oh, right." I follow her into her office and sit down in the chair in front of her desk. "So, what can I do for you today?" she asks. I fidget a little. "Well... I think I'm pregnant." She gives me a bright smile and nods. "Alright. Come over and lay down on the examination table please."

She examines me and when she's done, she smiles at me again. "Congratulations Kira. You're pregnant." I sit frozen. Pregnant? I'm pregnant? I've had a suspicion because I've been a little nauseous but nothing much. It's only because it didn't go away that I took a pregnancy test.

I never thought that I would get pregnant. I never thought that I would get a man either but here I am now with an amazing man and a baby on the way.

"I don't have the optimal equipment here so you should go to the hospital to get checked out. I'll make a referral and mail the confirmation to you," she says, and I slowly nod. "Okay, thank you." That's all I can say because I'm starting to panic. A baby? Am I ready for that?

She shows me out and I make my way back to the shop. Before I go there, I stop by the bakery where Hillary is working today. "Hey dear," she says with a big smile on her face. "Hey..."

She looks closer at me and furrows her eyebrows. "Are you okay?" Clearing my throat, I nod. "Yeah... yeah, I'm fine. Just wanted to ask you if you would bring some baguettes home when you get of work? I'm making spaghetti and meatballs."

"Of course, dear. Are you sure you're okay?" I nod and force a smile out. "Yes, I'm sure. I'll see you at home."

Without saying anything else, I leave and go to the flower shop. Unlocking the door, I put the open sign up and go into the back where I put down my bag.

Pregnant...

Then panic sets in again. What will happen to the baby? Will it have powers just like me? Or be a shifter like Shawn? Will it have powers AND be a shifter? How am I supposed to teach him or her to control the powers when I can't even control my own? I've gotten much better but still...

Does Shawn even want kids? We've never talked about it, so I don't know what he thinks about it.

I sit down on a chair, rest my elbows on my knees and put my head in my hands. "Okay, relax Kira. You can do this. Me and Shawn can figure this out together, right?"

The door in the shop dings so I take a deep breath and go out front. I smile when I see who it is. "Oh, hi Gerard. How can I help you?"

Him and his family have been living with me the last month. More people from town have come to live with us too so the small 'hut' that I made for them has grown. It has been a lot of work to get the plumbing and electricity done but Boe really came through with supplies and everybody has helped out to get it done.

"I need a bouquet for the wife," Gerard says. He does this every Friday and it makes me smile even more. It's so sweet.

"What would you like it to be today?" I ask. "Surprise me. You always make the most beautiful bouquets." Smiling again, I nod and say, "Okay, give me a minute."