Chapter 9 - "Amelia?"

Year 844

"Amelia?"

Hitch and Amelia turned to see a short girl with brown hair and brown eyes standing behind them.

"Ella?" Amelia gasped. 

The girl gave a lopsided smile, "Hey there, partner in crime."

Amelia stood and hugged her, "It's been ages! Why are you here?"

"I came to visit my old friends," she said, "I lived here before Ragako." Her brown hair was longer, and it fell in front of her face, "Why are you here? Aren't you meant to be training?"

"Day off," Amelia shrugged.

"Hold up!" Hitch stood as well, "Not sure who you are, but I'm Hitch Dreyse. I'm in Amelia's class at camp."

"Oh, I'm sorry!" Ella exclaimed, "I'm Ella Luther. Amelia and I were best friends back in Ragako. I've heard some flattering things about you, and apparently the two of us are quite similar," she said to Hitch.

"Oooh," Hitch wiggled her eyebrows at Amelia, "flattering things? And us being similar? We'll have to test that sometime."

"I would normally ask if I can join you but if you're like me then screw that I'm sitting down." said Ella.

For a while the three of them just sat there, talking. But all too soon Ella stood and said, "I have to go. I have another friend waiting for me at the other side of town."

"Aww," Hitch said glumly.

Amelia stood as well and hugged her, whispering, "I've missed you so much."

Ella smiled and whispered back, "I've missed you too, partner."

"See you again soon?" Amelia asked, blinking back tears.

"Yeah, of course!" she hugged Hitch and hugged Amelia one last time. "Bye Hitch! It's been amazing spending time with the two of you."

Hitch grinned back at her, "It really has. See you sometime soon hopefully!"

Hitch turned back to Amelia, who was wiping her cheek, "Are you alright?" she asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just... glad to have been able to see her again."

"Okay. Hey, come with me. I have something to show you," Hitch started to walk down the street, pulling Amelia behind her.

Amelia laughed, "I'm coming, I'm coming! You can let me go!"

Hitch eased her grip on Amelia's wrist, but then moved her hand down into Amelia's. Amelia noticed this and blushed lightly, her heart strings being tugged painfully. The two of them walked down the street, hand in hand, talking happily.

After a five minute walk, they reached a bell tower. It rose high up into the sky, but not as high as the walls surrounding the town. 

"Over here," said Hitch, dragging Amelia towards a door at the bottom of the tower.

"Are we allowed in there?" asked Amelia, cautiously.

Hitch shrugged, "Well, no, but on the few occasions that I've come to Trost, my family and I would come up here. Apparently my grandfather helped build it."

"If we get caught I'm blaming you."

Hitch made puppy dog eyes at Amelia, "You wouldn't do that! Now come on!"

The two of them walked up the many stairs to the trapdoor leading to the bell. Hitch pushed the trapdoor open and climbed through, Amelia following. But Amelia accidentally whacked her head on the bell as she was climbing through.