Chapter 1 - The Birthday

Year 843

Amelia woke with a start. Sunlight was streaming through the window by her bed, and it was a beautiful day. But not as beautiful as the dream she was experiencing prior to waking up. She knew she had to get up to do her chores, since she was the eldest child and therefore should set a good example for her younger siblings, but all she wanted was to go back to sleep. But before she could, she was jumped on by her younger brother, Connie. 

"Happy birthday Amelia!!!" He cried as he hugged her tight.

"Birthday?" Amelia asked, "Oh, but it can't be my birthday little brother. I can't possibly be twelve yet..." She trailed off, realising that it was. She was twelve. And that meant she was at the age where she could soon start working towards achieving her dream. 

"Just a few more months," she whispered, looking outside, "Just a few more."

"Come on come on come on come on come on!" the eight year old yelled as he practically dragged her out of bed. "You've slept in, and it's your birthday! You should be up celebrating!"

Amelia yelped as her brother, who was surprisingly strong, managed to pull her half out of bed. "Fine Connie, I'll get up. But first I have to get dressed, so go and play with Sunny and Martin." 

Sunny was their little sister, who was two years younger than Connie, and Martin was their little brother, who was three years younger than Sunny, making the two of them six and three years old. All of Amelia's younger siblings looked up to her immensely, and for a good reason. She was smart, tall, good looking, athletic, agile, and kind. Incredibly kind, but she had a streak of sass and attitude that she inherited from their grandmother, who had quite the mind of her own.

After Amelia managed to shove her little brother out the door, she got changed. She pulled on a light blue skirt and a white shirt, both items of clothing that her mother had made for her. She only wore the two for the best occasions, as they was precious to her. Amelia also tied a beaded necklace around her neck.

As she left her room in their small house and walked out into the main area, she was greeted by her parents and three younger siblings. 

Her mother Julia Springer was a woman in her late forties with light strawberry blonde hair and hazel coloured eyes, and her father Paul Springer was a man of the same age as Julia, with green eyes and dark brown hair that was streaked with grey. 

Connie was an eight year old that kept his hair closely cut for some reason. Amelia didn't know why, because it made him look even younger than he was, and he kept trying to be a grown up and have everyone take him seriously. 

Sunny was a six year old with blonde hair and green eyes, and Martin was a three year old with hazel eyes and strawberry blonde hair. Amelia had silky dark blonde hair, and her eyes were a gorgeous blue that matched the colour of her skirt.

After they hugged her and wished her a happy birthday, the Springer family all sat down for breakfast. Being a family that wasn't what you call wealthy, they normally didn't have amazing breakfasts, but were still delicious thanks to their mother's cooking. But, on birthdays and special days in the family, they would always have food that was traditional to their family's heritage, and it was better every occasion. 

"I wish that someone would have a birthday everyday," said Sunny as she stuffed her little mouth with food. 

"Well, someone does," said Julia, leaning over to wipe the crumbs off her cheek, "just not in our family."

After the hearty breakfast, they set off to do their chores for the day. The entire time while she was gardening, all Amelia could think about was the dream that she dreamt the night before, riding on horseback through a field of wildflowers with her hair flying in the wind blowing into her face. The sky was a beautiful shade of blue, and a few clouds dotted the heavens. 

Her thoughts then changed to her goal in life. To see the world. She still remembered the day when she decided it. It was a warm summers day, much like this one, about a week before her ninth birthday. 

She was watching butterflies fly through the flowers planted in a flowerbed, when she realised how much more there would be in the world outside the walls. How many more flowers, how many more butterflies. That was when she looked up to the sky and made a promise to some day see the world.

After that day, she would ask anyone who would listen about how to see the outside world. Most people would would pat her on the head and laugh, as if it was a childish dream unable to be fulfilled, and some people would ignore her and leave. Others would say, "Well, the only way to do that would be for the world to be rid of titans, and it's not like that will ever happen." But then, one day someone said, "You could join the Survey Corps when you're old enough. But it's a dangerous job. You could easily die." 

That final person made the dream in her heart blaze even higher, because now she knew that it could be done. The Survey Corps was a branch of the millitary that fought back against the titans, no matter how many soldiers they lost every mission. That was her ticket to the world outside the walls. Her ticket to see the world.

She then started asking about the Survey Corps, and how to join it. Her parents didn't approve of it, but her best friend in the village, Ella Luther, would often help Amelia with questioning people, and made sure her parents didn't find out. She found out that her pathway to the Survey Corps was the Cadet Corps, which could be joined at the age of twelve, where you would go through three years of training and then decide if you wanted to to join the Garrison, the Survey Corps, or the Millitary Police.

So she eagerly awaited the day where she would turn 12, and be allowed to join the Cadet Corps in Autumn later that year. And that day had finally come. 

Amelia decided to talk to her parents that night, after Connie, Sunny and Martin had gone to sleep.

~~~

Amelia approached her parents. She didn't know how this was going to go. But she had one major playing card in her hand now.

"Mom, dad? Can I ask you something?" She asked tentatively.

"Of course honey," her father said.

Amelia took a deep breath and looked them both in the eye.

"I want to join the Survey Corps."

Authors Notes

Hey people! This is my first Wattpad story, and thank you for choosing it to read. In my opinion, this chapter was a bit meh, but it will start getting more dramatic as it goes on.

I'm having a lot of fun writing this, and I hope whoever is reading it is enjoying it as well. I hope that I will finish it and it will be exactly how I envision it.

Again, thank you for choosing this story to read. Every one of you supports me so much!