Chapter 17

Thanks to @ouat123_captainswan for a sweet banner!

"Sebastian?"

"I cannot wait for you to come home tomorrow," his voice soothes me, making my raging nerves settle for a while. "My heart has grown too fond if that is possible."

"Today will go by quick, okay? Just focus on work, and I promise it will be morning before you know it." A smile lights up my dreary face. "I can't wait to tell you everything when I get back."

"Was the trip worth it?"

"At night when I am lying awake, no, but when I am talking with Alpha Kenn, definitely. I have learned so much, and when I get back, I'm sure all of our problems will be solved."

"You sure are confident in what he is telling you."

I watch Alpha Kenn from the guest room window. He is talking with his guards, most likely setting everything up, putting the pieces in place for our test. "It is good information, very useful." Alpha Kenn's eyes suddenly find mine, and he waves for me to come down. "I-I have to go, but I'll call you tonight, I promise."

His tone changes. "Is everything alright? You sound rushed."

"Everything is fine. Alpha Kenn is just ready for me now. I don't want to waste time before he has to get back to work."

"Okay, I'll talk to you tonight."

"Okay"

"Stay safe," he says before the line goes dead, and my heart wrenches in my chest. I place the phone down and quickly leave the room, but in the hallway, my guards emerge and stop me.

"Where are you off to, Luna?"

"Oh, I am just talking with the Alpha again," I lie. "Don't worry. I'll be downstairs in his office. If I want to go for another walk, I'll come fetch you, alright?"

They let me past, and I leave them with my smile before it fades from my face. Rushing outside, I see Alpha Kenn and hastily walk over. He notices me and meets me halfway. "Hurtle in the hallway?"

"No, sorry. I'm here now, so where do we start?"

"I am assuming you dealt with that mate of yours?"

I nod.

"Alright. Right now we are going to walk over to the southern border, where everything is going to happen," he explains as I follow him. "There will be six guards set up around you, shifted, and masked. You will not look at them, or do anything that could suggest that there are others around you. If you are right, if he or someone working for him is constantly watching you, then we might have a chance."

"Wouldn't they know what we are planning then?"

He shakes his head. "Hopefully not. I doubled border-watch and had groups sweep the area early this morning. They found a rogue."

"And?"

"And he refused to say anything, which benefits us greatly. If my Uncle has rogues watching you, then we might have caught today's worker. Hopefully, he goes out looking for him and then falls into our trap. Even if he was not planning on killing you today, the opportunity is just too good to pass up."

We join the trees and my stomach rises. "I'm nervous."

"Remember, if anything happens, the guards are around you."

Sunlight leaks through the trees and sprays in my eyes, blinding me or seconds at a time as we near the border. The trees are nearly bare as the last few leaves hang on. The ones on the ground are sparse, most of them carried away by the wind, leaving no satisfying crunch as I step. Alpha Kenn comes to a stop in the center of a small clearing, hardly anything noticeable.