Chapter 10

Thanks @alissapressley9 for the awesome banner!

Though I have not seen my mother in a decade, we now have something in common. Paranoia. The constant feeling of eyes on me is driving me to near madness. I am now doing things differently than I naturally would, reacting in other ways because the intense fear that he is watching me is always on my mind. Before I make a decision, something as simple as taking a sip of water, he pops into my head. Do I want to drink this in front of him?

Marina has noticed this in the morning. She stares at me as I reluctantly eat breakfast. My eyes will glance out the window every few minutes before I take another slow bite. She has asked me if something is wrong, but I tell her no. The only places that I can find privacy are in rooms with no windows, or if the curtains or pulled closed. I can no longer fall asleep with the windows open either, even with Sebastian beside me. I worry that he will slip through and steal me away in the middle of the night.

It is hard to fear someone you have never seen before. My dreams of being chased have continued, and I am convinced that the beast is him. A blood-lusting, thunderous-growling monster, is his form in my head. I wonder if my mother has dreams about him, though hers must be different, more real and lifelike. Part of me dreams of changing his mind, convincing him that I am no demon, no witch that is thirsty for power. My hopes for this died once Sebastian came back from the searches and told me that a guard had spotted something lurking between the trees. The guard explained that it was watching him, stalking him with intense eyes. Sebastian only told me this because I begged him to let me know if anything happens, as I knew he would not want me to worry, to feel unsafe.

The guard chased after it until the watcher disappeared. The thing moved in a way that disoriented him, dragging him far from the group and into the dense forest, further into the unclaimed land. Sebastian told me that the unclaimed land is areas that belong to no packs, land free for rogues to roam. Grandmother and I lived on unclaimed land. Right after learning about the dangers of unclaimed land for a werewolf like her, I panicked and wanted to force her over. It was safer when she lived with grandfather, as they had each other to protect themselves, but now that she is aged and alone, dirty rogues can take advantage of her. I have also decided to call the bad rogues dirty rogues, as I believe they can clean up their act and become good. It makes me feel better about their situation.

This morning I find myself taking a few bites of breakfast only to look back out the window. My eyes scan the foliage, searching for others staring back at me. I have never caught anything, but that has not stopped me.

I begin to hear Marina's voice in the background, and another's, but I do not pay enough attention to unveil them. My eyes stare at the undergrowth as it seems to sway back and forth. Could be the wind, could be something peering through the dense leaves. My eyes study each gap, searching for the pair of eyes, searching for someth—

"Evangeline."

I jump in my spot as my heart jolts in my chest. Looking up, I see Sebastian standing in front of me. I take a deep breath and run a hand through my hair. "You scared me."

"What are you looking at?" He questions and scans the trees himself.

"Nothing I—nothing."

"She's been looking out that window every morning," Marina confesses for me. I gaze up at her with pleading eyes, not wanting Sebastian to worry about me, or think I am even more insane than before.

"You have?" Sebastian focuses in on me, making me shrink. "Why?"

"I just look out the window. The scenery is beautiful in the morning," I lie, though I do enjoy the scenery. The birds' songs sound much more magical after the sun rises and the day is just beginning.