Chapter 5

Sebastian spoke with my grandmother alone for about ten minutes. They asked me to leave the room for the short moment, so I wandered the halls of the gigantic house. My mind cannot help but continue to drift to their conversation, though. What are they talking about and why can I not hear it? I feel like a punished child, and my parents have yet to come up with the punishment.

I begin to hear footsteps behind me as I walk down a random hallway, and when I turn to see what is causing the sounds, I spot the dog from earlier, Bruiser. A smile spreads across my face from ear to ear, and I hurry to the chubby pup. He seems to be comfortable with me as my hand lightly strokes his smooth back. Bruiser rolls over so I will rub his tummy, and I let out a small laugh.

"Evangeline!" Someone calls for me, and I stand up straight.

"I'm over here," I call back and slowly make my way towards the beginning of the long, dimly lit hallway.

Ryker appears around the corner and motions for me to follow him. I pick up my pace until he is right in front of me. "Your grandmother has left, and the Alpha wants to see you in his office," he informs me briefly.

"Wait, she left, but I didn't get to say goodbye." I peer up at Ryker with a mask of disappointment on my face.

"The Alpha will explain."

I do as I am told and follow behind Ryker to the Alphas office, having to play the game. When we arrive, Ryker pushes one of the doors open and lets me in. Sebastian is sitting at his desk, shuffling through papers.

"Why did she leave?" I ask him, and he glances up at me for a second before peering back down.

"She will be back tomorrow so you can talk to her then."

I nod slightly before sitting in one of the two leather seats in front of the desk. I sit silently for about two minutes before I pipe up again. "Where is everyone?"

"They're working." This time Sebastian does not look up at me but keeps writing on one of the many papers.

"What do they do?"

"What I tell them."

I observe him and take in his features while he is distracted. Slowly, I have grown an urge to look at Sebastian, as he is just so handsome. Since we are bound to be together in a romantic way, I want to be the best person I can be for him—I want to find out how my mate works, how he functions. I want to know if he desires me as much as I secretly do for him.

"How do packs work?" I question him, randomly.

Sebastian stops, and his gaze lands on me. "Every pack has an Alpha, which is the position I hold. Then there is a second in command, who is called the Beta, which is the position Andrew holds, and lastly the third in command is Ryker. We take care of the pack, as we are the leadership, but all answers to me. When the Alpha finds his mate, she becomes the Luna, the Alphas equal." A light blush has started to show on my cheeks, and I try to hide it from him. "It works as a government. My pack, the Tate Pack, has our land, guards to protect it and enforce rules, and the pack members."

Sebastian stands up from his chair and comes over to me before holding out his hand. I take it and do not ask any questions as he leads me out of the room. His touch spreads a soothing sensation over my body, making me relaxed, clearing my head of troubling thoughts. My wolf never wants him to let go.

When we reach the top of the stairs, I become too curious. "Where are we going?"

"To bed."

I must have lost track of time, and when I look out one of the windows, it is dark outside and the moon is high in the sky. "Where will I be sleeping?" I glance back at him from the window.