I'll come back for you (part 3)

Content warnings: Mentions of war

Charlie's pov

(4 hours earlier)

I was hanging out with Tao, Elle, and Aled. Tao and Elle were talking about their wedding day and how perfect it was going to be. They have been engaged for a while now. I'm very happy for them, but I can't help but feel a little jealous. Not too much though, since they are like family. They were showing us some flowers on the market and discussing which ones would be perfect. I drifted off while walking with them. Would Nick plan his wedding like these two? Would he even want to get married? I snapped out of my thoughts. Why do I think about Nick's wedding? I shook my head and tried to listen to what my friends were saying. 

After we walked through the market Elle and Tao went off to work and Aled and I were left. Aled scratched his head, not knowing what to say. "Do you want to take a walk?" I asked him. He nodded. "Sure."

We walked through the whole kingdom while talking about a lot of things. When we sat down on a bench in the square we took a moment to look at the surroundings. "It's quiet here today." Aled said. "Yeah, it feels weird." "So, you and Nick huh?" Aled asked. I looked at him in shock. "How did you-" "I could see it coming from a mile away. And I saw you two leaving for Nick's house yesterday. I have eyes everywhere." He jokes. I laughed. "Stalker." "But tell me. What's going on with you two?" Aled asked. "We're not exclusive or anything. We just had a great talk yesterday and then a great night. I don't know where it's going, but I'd like to think that it's going somewhere." I said. Aled smiled. "I'm rooting for you! Arent's you worried though? Like, he's going away for war tomorrow." I totally forgot about that. "Yeah, but I'm not losing hope. I have to keep thinking he'll be fine."

After an hour of talking, me and Aled went back home. I kept thinking about the war. What if Nick did die in battle? Maybe if I come with him someway I can protect him. I have these powers for a reason. Maybe I should start using them. When I got home I looked at the sun, which was getting pretty low. Maybe I should see Nick. Maybe I can convince him not to go. I don't want our story to end before it has begun. I walked a bit further towards Nick's house. When I got there I saw Nick walking in the distance. I could see his sweaty face and greasy hair from miles away. I smiled at the thought of getting my hands through his hair. But that's not why I'm here. I need to focus.

Nick frowned once he saw me. He sped up his walking and grabbed my hand as soon as he got to me. "Are you okay? What happened?" Nick asked me. "I'm fine. I just wanted to talk to you." I said. "Are you sure nothing happened? You look so worried." I didn't realize I had a worried look on my face. "No nothing happened. I promise. Can I come inside?" I asked.  "Yes of course!" Nick opened his door. I sat down on a chair and waited for Nick to sit as well. "What did you want to talk about?" Nick asked. I took a deep breath. "Can you not go to war?" I asked, looking down to the floor. Nick furrowed his eyebrows. "What?" "Can you not go to war?" I repeated. Nick stared at me. I don't think he knew how to answer me. 

"I don't really have a choice you know. I have to do it." Nick said eventually. I sighed. Tears started welling up in my eyes. "I promise I'll be careful. Once I'm back we can start a life together-" "You can't promise me that. I've heard of wars and battles like that. They don't end well and people die." I said, interrupting him. He looked away. "I have to go. I don't have a choice." He said. I wiped the tears out of my eyes. I don't want him to see me cry. "You can fake an injury." I said. "What good would that do? If people knew I faked an injury, I will be the coward of the kingdom. I have a reputation to uphold. I'm Nickolas Nelson for christ's sake." Nick was getting angry now, but his face softened as he returned his gaze to me. "I'm sorry." He said. We sat in silence for a few minutes. Eventually, I stood up and walked to the door. "I'm sorry Nick, but I can't wait for you. If we continue this, I'll be fucking crushed when you die." I said as my head grabbed the doorknob. 

Nick didn't say anything. I took the hint. I turned the doorknob and opened the door, ready to leave. That's when he stood up and walked towards me. "Wait." He said. I turned around and before I could say anything he pushed his lips on mine. I stumbled back for a second, looking Nick in the eyes. Then I rushed towards him and kissed him hungrily. I can't give this up. After making out on the couch for a few minutes I laid down on it and closed my eyes. My head was resting on Nick's lap. He was stroking my hair and whispering some kind words. He said everything was going to be okay. I don't know about that, but I want to cherish this moment now that I still can. I fell asleep on his lap. 

-The next morning-

The next morning I woke up still on Nick's couch, but Nick was nowhere to be found. I got up and looked around the house. He wasn't in his room or the kitchen. I did see his mum when I peeked in her room, but he wasn't with her. I walked outside and saw Nick standing in the grass a little further. I walked over to him and hugged him from behind. He touched the back of my head and stroked my hair. We stayed like that for a while. "Are you okay?" I asked. "Yeah." Nick's voice broke. I turned him around so he was facing me. "Talk to me." I said. Tears started streaming down Nick's face. "I'm so scared. My mum came home last night and cried once she saw me. I don't want to leave her. And I don't want to leave you. You two mean everything to me." Nick cried in my arms. I know he has to leave, but I was so scared something would happen to him. I wanted to say everything was going to be okay. But I have no idea if it will. 

I kissed him and put my hand on his cheek. "We'll get through this. I know you can't promise me anything, but please come home for us." Nick nodded. He took my hand and together we walked back into the house. We ate some breakfast and talked about some stuff to keep our minds off the war. After a few hours, the bells rang and Nick had to go to the square. His mum and I walked with him. Nick was still holding my hand. He didn't care if anyone saw. When we arrived at the square Nick walked over to the other knights and stood there in line with them. He smiled at me and I smiled back. To my surprise, Tara and Darcy came together as well. I'll ask her about it later. 

"These brave lads are going to war to fight for our honor. You remain in our thoughts while you are gone. It will be a tough battle. The Beast will not simply give in and neither will its master. Be careful. We'll give you a moment to say goodbye to your loved ones in case you don't come back." the knight's head trainer said. The knights nodded and walked to their families. Nick hugged his mum tightly. She couldn't help but cry. "Please be careful." She said. Nick nodded. "I will. Keep an eye on Charlie for me, will you?" He said as he winked at me. Nick's mum laughed and nodded. "I will." 

Nick took a few steps toward me. He looked at his mother, giving her a kind of telepathic request to step away for a moment. Her mother took the hint. He cupped my head in his hands and kissed me. "I love you." I looked at him in shock. Did he really just say that? "I know it's weird to say that since we barely know each other. But I do. I want to be with you and I'll go to this war with that in mind." He said. "I love you too." I said. Nick smiled. "It's time to go." The head trainer called. Nick kissed me one more time. "I'll come back for you." He said. "Please" I answered. 

I saw Nick leave with the other knights. Everyone started to go back to their houses, but I couldn't move. Tori walked up to me. "He'll be okay. He's Nick Nelson." She said. I shrugged. "I don't know. But I'll be praying for his safe return." I said. I turned to Tori. "I should go with them. I could help them and if I do, maybe they will all come back safely." Tori shook her head. "Your powers are not developed yet. Who knows what happens if you use it the wrong way." She said. "I have to try." I said as I walked towards the gates. Tori grabbed my arm. "I can't let you do that. I'm not losing my brother because of some crush. He'll be fine." She said. I was getting mad. "He's not just a crush. He might be my soulmate." "Jesus Charlie. You just met the guy." She said annoyed. I rolled my eyes. "Please, just, come back home. I can help you with your powers, but you're not following them to war." Tori said as she turned around. 

"We'll see about that." I said as I sprinted to the gate and jumped over it.

That's part 3! Hope you guys liked it! I know it's shorter than the others, but the next part will be like normal again. Part 4 is the last one btw and will be published on Sunday.