My champion (Tori and Michael)

Content warnings: Mention of unaliving yourself

Tori is in uni and Michael is in a speed skating tournament. But the distance between them is giving them both anxiety.

Tori's POV

Uni is hard. I mean it's supposed to be hard, but I wasn't expecting to be so busy everyday. I guess now is the time to put effort into the things you do. I'm not complaining though. Uni is way better than Higgs or Truham. I mean it's still school, but I actually get to choose the things I want to study. It's been a few months since I moved to campus, and since I last saw my parents, Charlie and Michael. I've been calling them a lot, but it still feels weird not having them around. I don't really care about being away from my parents, I'm actually kind of relieved, but I did feel a little anxious about leaving Charlie alone with them. But he's always assuring me that he's fine. I guess I have no choice but to believe him. 

Me and Michael have been calling everyday. Yes, it's cheesy. But it's nice to hear his voice. It kind of makes me feel like I'm in my own bed back in Kent whenever I call him. Michael decided not to go to college. He didn't want to study anymore and he's been practicing his speed skating a lot the past year. He's hoping to become a speed skater for the olympics, which would be really cool. Last week he began a tournament. The 'International Young Adult Speed Skating Contest' in which he has to travel around the world. The races are always broadcasted live, and I haven't committed it to Michael yet, but I have watched every race.

Today is no different. Michael is in the United States today for his next race, and I'm on my bed with my laptop watching the live broadcast. Becky, who is now my roommate, comes in. "He has another race?" She asks looking at me from the doorway. "Yeah." I say not looking up. "There's a party in one of the other dorms. Are you sure you don't want to come?" "I'm not really a partygoer. Plus I want to see him win." I say still looking at the screen. Becky nod, then walks up to me and gives me a hug from the side. "Text me if you change your mind, or when the game is over." She says. She walks out the door and closes it. It's just me again.

Michael wins the race, of course, and as soon as he was done he called me on the phone. "Hey Tori." Michael says still a bit out of breath. "Hey." I say. I'm laying on my bed staring at the ceiling. "Did you watch the race?" Michael says. I can hear the excitement and hope in his voice. "Yeah I watched it. You did great!" I say. Michael chuckles. "I could've been faster, but it wasn't bad I guess." "You won?" I say confused. "Yeah, but my timing needs to be faster if I want to win the whole tournament." "I'm sure that you'll do great." I say. We stay silent for a bit. It's nice, but then Michael breaks the silence. "So what's going on in your life?" He asks. "Not much." I say. I want to say more, but I don't know what I should say. Nothing interesting is happening in my life. Not like his tournament. I just study, stay in my room browsing through internet or go outside sometimes.

"I miss you." I say without thinking. I cringe immediately. Michael stays silent. "Because.. you know.. it's just boring here and I don't do much. At least you got me out of the house sometimes." I quickly say. "Don't you have parties. or school activities at your uni?" Michaels asks. "Yeah, but, I don't really know the people there and I don't want to stand somewhere in the corner looking at my phone." I say. "Well you won't get to know people if you stay in your dorm all day. You should try to make some friends." "I have friends." I say. "Just do it. For me?" Michael asks in a cute voice. I roll my eyes. "Fine I'll try." I say. "Where are you going next?"

"To Singapore. They have a huge ice rink there. One of the perks of winning the race." Michael says. "I miss you too btw." I smile. "Good luck." I say. "Thanks. Remember what I said!" "That you miss me?" I say teasing him. "Noo, that you have to try to make friends." I groan. "Fine I'll try." "Good! Talk to you later." Michael hangs up the phone. "I love you." I say staring at the ceiling, already knowing he hung up.