I'll come back for you

Content warnings: Mentions of deaths, but nothing graphic. 

This story is heavily inspired by the tv-show 'Merlin' and one drawing Alice Oseman made. It takes place in a kingdom. Nick is a knight and is always training with the other knights (Harry, Darcy, and other people from the rugby team) for battles. Charlie is a normal citizen who takes care of the land and the people. Charlie and Nick haven't met yet.

Charlie's POV

I was getting some food from the market for the sick people that just got a little better. There wasn't much to choose from. It was the middle of winter, and we hadn't harvested much food in the summer, because not much had grown. And, of course, most of the food went to the palace and the knights. God, I hate the royal family. Tara and I were walking through the market. "Do you think we'll have enough food for the rest of the year?" She asked. "I have no idea. Not if everything goes to the palace." I said a bit annoyed. Tara looked around her. "Don't say that so loudly. You don't know if they'll hear you." She said. "What are they going to do? Hang me?" I said. Tara frowned at me. I patted her head. 

"Don't worry I'll be careful. I just have a very low opinion on this whole royal family thing." "Yeah, no kidding. You've been whining about it ever since I knew you." Tara said, chuckling. We bought some fruit and vegetables and made our way home. On our way, we saw the knights train on the field. Tara was staring at Darcy, who was the only girl on the team. I laughed. "Just go talk to her." "And say what? Hi, I've been in love with you forever, and I want to be your girlfriend." Tara said. "Yeah, I think that would be a good start." I said. Tara rolled her eyes and walked further. "I can't just walk up to her. She wouldn't go out with someone with such a low status as me." She said as she sat on a bench. I sat next to her. 

"You don't have a low status, and you'll never know if she would go out with you if you never ask." I said, petting her back. Tara sighed. "Wel... I guess we'll never know." She said as she stood up, and walked further home. I looked at the knights who were still training, rolled my eyes, and walked with Tara. 

-A few hours later-

It was evening, and I was getting ready to go to bed. My parents already turned out all the lights, so the only light that I could see was from the moon. I stared at it. It wasn't a full moon yet, but I think it will be in a few days. Suddenly, I heard a stone being thrown against my window. I looked through the window and saw my secret boyfriend standing in the yard. I opened my window. "What are you doing here?" I whispered. "I wanted to see you. Come down here." Ben said. Ben was the son of the trainer of the knights, but he wasn't a knight himself.  I used to think he was a prick because he thought he was better than anyone else. But now I don't think that anymore. He's kinda nice. 

I climbed out the window and jumped to the ground. I looked up, hoping my parents didn't hear me. When I concluded that they didn't, Ben pushed me against the wall and kissed me. I smiled. "Your very dominant today." I said through the kisses. Ben didn't say anything. He just continued until we heard a voice in the distance. "Still don't tell anyone about this, okay? I can't have someone see me with a normal citizen." He said as he walked away. I felt disappointed. Another useless makeout session. I climbed back through the window into my room and saw my sister standing in the doorway. I jumped at the sight of her. "You need to break up with him." She said, no, demanded. 

"It's not that easy Tori." I said as I got back in bed. "Why?" She asked. "Because he is the only guy that wants to get with me." I said. "But he doesn't want anyone to see you two together." Tori said. I groaned and put a pillow on my head. "I'm just saying, it doesn't look like a healthy relationship. I think you can do way better than him." I sat up and looked at her. "What if I can't? What if I'm destined to be alone?" I asked. Tori rolled her eyes. "So dramatic." She said as she walked back to her room. I laid down and closed my eyes. "What if I am destined to be alone?