43 ✰ October 31st

"It's a good thing you lost your Invitation Vial, or I would've missed out on this moment," Magnus murmured appreciatively as soon as I opened the front door, his heavy gaze sliding over my body like hands.

Forget me, Magnus was devastatingly handsome.

So handsome, in fact, that my jaw dropped unattractively from the shock. He looked as if he materialised from the pages of a romance novel—a Scottish warrior prince in formal Highland dress, complete with a navy blue tartan kilt.

"You sure know how to make a witch blush," I stammered and nervously skimmed my palms down the sides of my hips. "I'm going to look so plain next to you."

The closest to a regency-themed dress in my closet was a vintage Dior dress I only wore once, to one of Hugo's ridiculous Green with Envy parties where everyone had to show up in—you guessed it—green. Thankfully, the colour suited my red hair just fine.

The dress had a high empire waistline and was made out of luxurious silk. Under the right lighting, the shiny fabric was capable of making the forest-hued frock gleam like precious emeralds.

Decorative ivy leaves were embroidered across the silk in a winding pattern, stitched with golden threads that contrasted beautifully against the green. Paired with gold satin opera gloves and a matching Venetian mask, my look was more of a modern take on the Ball's theme.

However, it was nothing impressive when compared to Magnus' attire. I highly suspected I wasn't going to be able to keep my eyes off him the whole night.

Magnus reached out for a stray wave that had somehow escaped the confines of my braided up-do, tucking it behind my ear with care. The fleeting brush of his fingertips caused me to inhale sharply.

"You may be many things, wee witch..." he paused for gravity, "...but never plain."

After a quick glance at his watch, Magnus sent me a heart-fluttering smile.

"Happy birthday, Lena."

My brows shot up in surprise. "It's midnight already?"

It was then that I noticed Magnus held a sizeable box in his other hand.

"This is for you." He gestured me to open it with a nervous tip of his head.

With my heart in my throat, I carefully popped open the lid to the gift box, revealing a pair of Christian Louboutin black patent leather heels with stark red soles. A flash of recognition struck me hard like lightning.

My lucky pumps.

I gasped, holding the pumps up to the porch light. He fixed the broken heel?

Magnus answered that question soon enough. "They're brand new, but I'm afraid it doesn't match your dress." 

Bless him, Magnus actually seemed embarrassed because the tops of his cheekbones were dusted light pink.

I kicked off my gold heels dramatically. 

"I don't care. I love them," I remarked and slipped my feet into their new leathery homes. When I met Magnus' gaze again, I was surprised to find my vision blurry from fresh tears. In an effort to keep them from falling, I averted my eyes and blinked them rapidly.

"If it's midnight already, we better get a move on," I muttered, sniffling.

Magnus stepped forward, automatically pushing me back into the apartment. He locked the door behind him with a definite click, his grey eyes sparkling at me with an intensity that made my heart thunder.