05 ✰ Afternoon, October 2nd

"Your ovaries were calling out to me, Leonora."

I blinked furiously, thinking I misheard the Elder. "Sorry, my what?"

"Your ovaries," the Elder repeated nonchalantly. "They're begging for help."

I knew the talk with Elder Lyrina was going to be extremely awkward, but didn't count on it to start off with a bang. I shrunk deeper into the velvet cushion seat.

"Lucky you. They've been giving me the silent treatment."

The witty retort did not go well, judging by Elder Lyrina's hardened stare.

"Leonora," she said exasperatedly, interlocking her slender fingers in a praying position, "do you know how us Winterhavens access our power?"

"Um. No?"

At this point, I wished I paid more attention to Coven history lessons in my youth.

"By the loins, child." The Elder looked defeated, her hands falling limply by her sides.

So that's why she brought up my helpless ovaries.

"Some of the other Covens, they draw their powers from the nature; some from solar power. A rare few are life-force witches, casting spells by draining other people's energy. Thankfully they're all huddled up in the West Coast."

This sounded vaguely familiar to me. Maybe if I'd been a better student instead of fantasising about Teddy Brazog or fashion color theory, I'd know exactly where this conversation was heading.

"Us Winterhavens, we can cast spells because of the strength drawn from our loins, a strength both erotic and procreative. Two factors that bring about a living being. This is why Winterhaven witches are the strongest of all, because our powers come from within us." The Elder paused (probably to take a breath) before continuing, "and that's also why Winterhavens don't develop their full powers until the age of sexual maturity."

"Right! I remember that part,' I chimed in, but Elder Lyrina resumed her lecture.

"I believe these are the roots of the Curse. It's almost like a twisted punishment for those who didn't fully embrace the power of their loins."

I winced. Something about the word 'loins' felt icky.

"And this happens to just one Winterhaven every half-century? Could there be virgins who evaded the Curse?"

"We don't know for sure, but an Afflicted does appear every fifty years or so. I haven't been able to verify the statistics, since Winterhavens tend to be more passionate beings anyway. Most would've usually lost their virginity by twenty-five."

That would've been me, too, if Teddy hadn't gone off to be tree fucker.

I let out a self-deprecating chuckle.

"So that's why I'm cursed. I've been neglecting the source of my powers."

Elder Lyrina's gaze softened in pity. "It's my fault, Leonora. I promised my niece I would take care of you, but here you are in this predicament. Please forgive me."

I couldn't help but smile at the mention of my mother, Letitia. She'd passed giving birth to me, and according to all accounts, she was one of the kindest Winterhavens to ever exist. Even motor-mouthed Lucia had nothing bad to say about my mother.

"There's nothing to forgive, really," I said softly. "This Curse should be an easy fix anyway. All I need to do is find someone to sleep with within twenty-nine days."