04 ✰ Morning, October 2nd

Blup!

Blup!

Blup!

My emotions were nearly as turbulent as the water in the coffee mug as it increasingly swirled and gurgled with each passing millisecond. Being a Winterhaven, messing up a spell as elementary as turning water into wine (or in this case, a steaming cup of cappuccino) was unthinkable.

And yet, this was my third attempt.

I should've known there was something amiss from the way my curling iron went berserk earlier, curling my hair into tight ringlets instead of the soft, beach-y waves I loved.

Even my favourite eyeliner dove straight for my eye socket, almost blinding me if I hadn't caught it in the nick of time.

Now barefaced and looking like a failed Annie understudy, my heart prepared its descent into my gut with the grace of an atomic bomb.

Thankfully in an instant, the liquid glowed bright amber before going completely still, its' pale colour turned a delectable shade of chocolate. When the scent of fresh coffee floated up and wrapped my body in a familiar hug, my shoulders slumped in relief.

Eager to leave the stress behind, I took a slow, indulgent sip of my coffee, but spat it out almost immediately.

The coffee was disgustingly sour, unlike the hundreds of cappuccinos that brightened my day over the years.

Fuck.

The Curse had come for good.

I was about to send a string of panicked texts to Lucy when a rapping on my balcony window made me jolt out of my skin.

There, perched on my balcony like a bad omen, stood a black raven.

Raven Mail only meant one thing.

And when I saw a letter attached to the raven's talon bearing the Winterhaven insignia, my suspicions were correct. I creaked open the balcony doors and retrieved the letter gingerly, all the while feeling the raven's beady eyes on me.

The second we made eye contact, the raven turned up its beak condescendingly.

Like it was really, really disappointed at the state of me.

"Get in line, buddy," I huffed as the raven flew away.

After opening the letter, I immediately recognised Elder Lyrina's elegant, cursive penmanship.

Dearest Leonora,

I am afraid that what we've suspected has come to pass.

This morning, I felt a disturbance in the ether.

Please come to the compound as soon as time permits.

Yours truly,

Lyrina Winterhaven

The Winterhaven Coven had twelve Enchanters, me included.

Actually thirteen, considering Laura Winterhaven was now seven months pregnant. 

However, her existence was commonly overlooked because after her pregnancy, Laura had taken to isolating herself in her room, fearing judgement on her puffy ankles.

All Winterhavens were descendants of the first violet-eyed witch to ever walk the Earth, Liliana Winterhaven, Elder Lyrina's grandmother.

In her honour, every Winterhaven witch and warlock used the alphabet 'L' as the first letter in their names. One could only imagine how unfortunate it would be for the Coven if they ever ran out of attractive names starting with the letter 'L'.