17 ✰ Night, October 8th

"So you're a fan of Queen?" Nicky asked, after a long drag off his cigarette.

Nicky and I were standing on the driveway for a smoke break, after Damiano and Genevieve descended into another 'should vampires continue to drink human blood' debate for the millionth time. I was never a smoker, but I hijacked Nicky's excuse to get some fresh air. Although, Nicky's secondhand smoke was seriously getting in the way of that and I was contemplating going back in.

"I gotta be honest, I only said that to piss Genevieve off," I said, catching myself from waving the cigarette smoke away. "Although, I did listen to 'I Want To Break Free' religiously when I was younger, dreaming of ways to get out of the Coven compound."

Nicky's hazel eyes sparkled in the moonlight. "That's one of my favourites."

"Nice! The song really spoke to me," I said excitedly.

Nicky smiled into his cigarette. "In fact, I have a vinyl of that single lying in my shop somewhere."

"You know, I should really drop by your store one of these days. What's it called again?"

"SoNick Records," he said, the humour evident in his tone.

I threw my head back in laughter. "Clever."

"It's stupid. I've been thinking of changing it, but my customers seem to like it."

"Don't!" I said hotly. "It's punny. I enjoy a good pun now and again."

"Oh?" Nicky challenged. "Here's one for you. Why did the werewolf turn after he saw a flasher across the street?"

I was almost afraid to ask. "Why?"

"Because he saw a full moon."

I choked on my spit as laughter bubbled up my throat.

Nicky grinned sardonically. "That was lame."

"Maybe just a little," I agreed with a nod.

"Lena, I don't think we've ever talked. Like really talked when you were with Ted."

I inwardly gagged. Teddy's name tended to do that to me.

Unfortunately, Nicky didn't notice, and he carried on. "The last time I saw you was at your twenty-first birthday, at that seedy bar Ted brought us all to."

"That's like aeons ago." My eyes widened at the memory.

"And yet, the memory of you passing out on the dance floor is ingrained in my memory," Nicky said, chuckling.

My hands flew to cover my cheeks. "I don't remember that!"

"How could you, after those Kamikaze shots?" He teased and I laughed again.

After my laughter subsided, Nicky let out a laboured sigh. "I carried you to your apartment, you know?" His expression suddenly turning wistful. "Ted was too pissed drunk himself...You told me I smelt good."

The colours drained from my face and I audibly gulped. I didn't remember saying that at all. And thank Jesus for that. I scoffed lightly to break the awkward pause hanging between us.

"I'm so close to using a memory-wiping spell on you."

"While you're at it, can you erase the time when Genevieve called the best musicians of all time 'tacky'?" Nicky crushed his finished cigarette on the ground with his heel. "I'd sure like to forget that."

"Sure, I'll add it to my calendar," I said with a grin.

Nicky studied me for awhile, and when it got too quiet, I cleared my throat loudly again.