Chapter 8: Robin and Shadow

After our six months of intensive training, it's now late October, and Bruce says we're finally ready to head out as Robin and Shadow. 

Since we can't all keep fitting into the Batmobile with Bruce, he had Lucius make us both custom bikes. Jason got a Robin themed one, which was actually just an upgraded design from Dick's old one. I got a black and grey one, all in matte finish so again it doesn't reflect light, just like my uniform. They are both electric, and nearly silent when they're on and running. I was a little scared at first when Bruce taught us how to ride, but I excelled at it once I started going. 

After only a week of bike training, Jason and I are both experts at riding, and will often race one another around the outskirts of the manor. I always win, but we both still have fun anyway. Jason may hate to lose, but he never seems to mind losing to me, just like I don't mind losing to him.

We got to both officially put on our new uniforms for the first time when we were finally going out on patrol. So far, we've only put them on enough to be comfortable in them, but we haven't gone full out with masks and hood yet. 

I'm checking out the new all black knives that Bruce had custom made for me while Jason was trying to be sneaky and creep up on Bruce after he was dressed, but total stealth has never really been Jason's strong suit. 

Also, he's wearing a bright yellow and green uniform in a dark cave, he stands out. A lot.

"Nice try, Robin, but you've been behind that monitor for over three minutes." Bruce says, not even looking up from the documents he's reading and outing Jason from where he has indeed been hiding. Jason groans and stomps out with a pout, looking absolutely adorable in my opinion, and then he goes to check the computer for something. "Now where's your sister? Is she ready?"

"I'm ready." I say from directly over Bruce's shoulder. I watched him tense slightly, letting me know he had no idea I had moved there while he was talking to my brother. "Getting sloppy, old man." I tease him as I walk around to face him then go and stand with Jason. 

We found out a few days ago that Two-Face had killed Willis, and that Bruce knew and didn't tell us. I didn't particularly care, but Jason was a little more closed off about his reaction. I'm not sure what his mind set is on this news, and that's strange for me to not know what he's thinking. I would assume he doesn't care, like me, but maybe he's butt hurt that Bruce didn't tell us. So right now, Jason is brushing up on the Bat-computer's info on Two-Face, so I join him in reading over his shoulder while Bruce finishes getting ready.

Our first stop as Shadow and Robin is to introduce us to Commissioner Jim Gordon. It was fun getting to use grappling hooks and launch ourselves up the sides of buildings at really fast speeds. It was probably the closest I was going to get to running along trees like in my last life. We grappled up to the top of the police station, where the Bat signal was lit and Gordon was waiting for Batman.

"Commissioner." Batman says as he steps out of the shadows to greet Jim.

"Batman, I'm glad you're here." Jim says, then turns to face him fully and sees Robin there as well. "Robin? What's going on?" He asks in shock, looking confused and conflicted.

"I'm the new Robin!" Jason says proudly, putting his hands on his hips.

"Batman... he's just a kid. Where did you find..." Jim says in a slight panic, then shakes his head in realization that Batman doesn't exactly answer questions. "Never mind, you won't answer. Is he at least as trained as the last one?" He asks with a resigned tone.

"They're both trained excellently. Meet the new Robin, and Shadow." Batman says slowly.

"Shadow?" Jim asks, looking around for a second person. I step out from behind Batman, making my presence known. Jim jumps a little when he sees me. "Shadow, it makes sense. You're also so young... Just be safe out there, please." He pleads to us both. I nod firmly while Jason gives a verbal yes for an answer.