The 13th Floor

The 13th floor is a level that is often omitted in some countries due to it's superstitious number. The origin of skipping the thirteenth floor when installing elevators is not known.

However, It is speculated that it was during a time when building designers, fearing people's superstitions about the number13th floor , decided to omit having a 13th floor listed on their elevator numbering.

This practice became commonplace, and eventually found it's way into mainstream culture and building design. It's practice was highly questionable and eventually a story was originated.

The following story was often told to people who worked/ lived in such buildings. A man once went to a multiple-level building without a thirteenth floor is used the elevator to go to a floor above the 12th floor.

On the way to 14th floor, the elevator started acting strange, and all of the sudden, it stopped as if it had arrived to a floor. After that, the door opened and he was never heard from again. Some say that he entered another dimension or that he found the gateway to hell.

In addition to this story, there's also a couple of rumors and theories regarding omission of the 13th floor. Some buildings include the 13th floor, however, it is empty or closed to public access .

The 13th floor exists and can be only accessed by pressing the elevator buttons in specific orders. The 13th floor is used by the owners for satanic rituals or illuminati meetings. 

Some conspiracy theories suggest that 13th floor in government building is not really missing. . . But actually contains top-secret governmental departments.

ANALYSIS :

The Number 13

- The reason why the 13th floor is omitted in buildings is because of ''Triskaidekaphobia'' ( fear of the number 13 and avoidance to use it) on the part of the building's owner or builder, or a desire to prevent problems that may arise with superstitious occupants or customer

- A research made by a worldwide elevator company estimated that 85% of the buildings with elevators did not have 13th floor

- In China, some buildings skip floors with number 4 to it's similar pronouncement with ''death'' . Four (四) Is pronounced ''si'' and death () ''si''

- In Italy the number 13 is considered lucky, unlike 17.