CHAPTER NINE

I have to admit. I love the power a black card holds. When the transaction went through, you should’ve seen Karen’s face. Well I will call her a Karen because she is white and I don’t remember her name. It’s not even relevant. After the purchase was processed, as I was waiting for the title deed, I decided to shop for furniture and have it delivered to my new home in a week since I already have keys. It costs me close to R200 000 and I withdrew R100 000 just for control before thinking of shipping the card back to its owner.

Just to save time and avoid drama, I drove to Lethi’s company and handed the card to his receptionist. Of course it was in a sealed envelope from DCC, so I know they were going to take it seriously. The guy has been blowing my phone with different numbers. Somehow I just know it’s him calling and I don’t answer it. I don’t know if he wants to kill me for overspending his hard-earned money or what but I am not in the mood of finding out.

After a week of purchasing the car, I have decided to go home and show it to my mother even though I don’t have answers for her to some of the questions she is going to shoot down my throat. I also know that my sister is going to gang up on me with my mother. In a way, I am ready for them and if they behave themselves, I am going to take them to Zimbali for dinner and maybe we can spend the night there. I could’ve bought my mother a house with Lethi’s money but I am the one who got heart broken, so she doesn’t ripe the fruit of my broken heart. Sorry. Maybe next time.

The amount of congratulations I got from the squad made me really emotional. In a way, we are all lucky for Kuhle and Futhy’s marriage because it created a group of friends that help each other in times of need and celebrate each other’s achievements. Even though I can feel overwhelmed by their successes, just being around them and soaking in their knowledge is refreshing. Because of our get togethers, I know I don’t wanna end up just a receptionist at one of the most powerful companies in South Africa. I wanna create a name for myself and leave a mark of my own but without leaving my job because I am not only doing it for myself. I am doing it for everyone out there. I manage to put a smile on almost everyone who passes by the reception, either a colleague or a mere visitor and I know by doing that, I am also leaving my own mark in the world.

So the squad usually gift each other with something significant to celebrate your achievement. I actually got a lot of clothes from the females, claiming that driving a car like that, I also have to dress the part. The drama but it just shows the amount of love. The guys also got me nice things. Mabutho got me a petrol card seeing how expensive petrol is these days and that was very thoughtful of him. I am sure they are all going to go crazy once I tell them about the house. It’s funny how strangers seem to support you and your own family has a way of looking down on you or never assisting even in times of need.

My niece, Zuzile is the one at the gate again and when she sees me getting off the car, she literally screams before rushing to hug me. “Malume, nice car. It is so beautiful. Is it yours?” she asks innocently and I nod. “OMG! Can I see the inside?” I laugh and open the front door for her. I place her on the seat and she touches the wheel. “These seats are so nice.” She wiggles a bit in my seat and I can’t help the laugh that escapes my lips before I take out my phone and photograph her while she is unaware.

“WHAT IS ALL THIS NOISE ZUZILE? AND WHOSE CAR IS THAT?” I hear my mother’s voice shout before I turn to face her. “Lindani, I wasn’t expecting you. And why are you arriving in that car? Where did you steal it? Where is yours?” yoh, parents.

“That car screams blesser from a mile away, ma.” Sithenjwa responds on my behalf as she appears behind mom. “Yey wena Zuzile. Get out of that car. You don’t know whatever STI you’re going to catch there.” aibo.
“Mama, what is an STI?” Zuzi asks as she climbs down from the car.
“Ask your uncle.” Sithenjwa responds, giving me a challenging look. I sigh.

“Family, I bought this car a week ago and believe it or not, it belongs to me. I haven’t found the time to get it personalized yet, but I am working on it. I am here because I wanted to show it to you guys and then take you out for dinner.”
Mom frowns. “Where did you suddenly get money for that car, Lindani? Are you sleeping with a minister?” as if.

“Mom, I wanna take you out for dinner. If you don’t want that, then I don’t mind taking the kids. Either way, you have thirty minutes to make up your mind. I will wait for you in the car because I don’t need more negative comments from you. And before you say I didn’t warn you, dress the part because we are going to a fancy restaurant.”

I climb into my car and hear some muffled sounds before I see them heading back inside the house. I know they are not going to pass up on the opportunity to eat out. They love nice things and they love bragging about them, they just love trash-talking me more. While waiting for them, I receive a call from Danny.

“Who is this big shot you are shagging? Why am I the only one who doesn’t know about this?” he asks before I can even say hello. I chuckle.
“Hello to you too, Danny. I didn’t even know you were back. When did you land?” I ask and I can literally feel him rolling his eyes at me.

“That’s not important but I landed an hour ago. Back to you, Mister. What’s going on? Do I need to get there in order to force you to tell me what’s happening?” he asks and I sigh.
“I had landed myself a big fish but then it slipped right through my fingers because it has a lot of scales. Luckily for me, I got a taste before throwing it back in the sea.”

“Look at you talking about sea food budlabha. You are making me hungry.” I crack up. He had to say something like that. That’s so him. “Who is this guy and what happened?”
“He is Lethinhlahla Khambule, a rich businessman and he is married.”
“Holy shit.”

“Yeah. I actually didn’t know about that before I fucked him. I only found out after he ghosted me for a week. I bumped into him with his family and when he saw me, he was shocked. I just said nothing and misused his card. When I was done, I shipped it back to his office. He has been calling me nonstop with different numbers but I don’t wanna speak to him.”

“You caught feelings, chomie. That’s the only explanation as to why you are so hurt you had to retaliate by buying a car worth millions.” I don’t respond and he chuckles. “Good, because I wasn’t asking. Anyhow, you can never be done with a black card. There are always expenses coming out of nowhere.”

I scoff. “I know but I don’t wanna live off with his money. It would look like he is maintaining me somehow.”
“Okay. I hear you boo. I am coming to Durban in a week just to drive that beast of yours. Can’t wait to see you. Bye love.”

“Bye.” We end the call just in time to see my family making their way to the car. I am not even going to comment about their dress code but what I can say is that my mom looks like she is heading to her ex’s funeral. My sister is dressed like Uncle Waffles. Only her children are not wearing dramatic outfits. My mother take the front seat while Sithenjwa and her kids climb on the back.
“So, where are we off to?” Sithenjwa asks as I start the car.
“Zimbali love.”