BOOK 1 BEGIN: ACID RAIN Chapter 1: The Fugitive

Cover artworks by Yura ( https://twitter

Cover artworks by Yura ( https://twitter.com/yura_s_arts )

Chapter One

The Fugitive

Rhythmic drips sounded from the sink in the corner. My sandpaper throat ached at the thought of gulping down tap water. The daydream occupied me as electricity thrummed through the metal contraption strapped onto my cranium like a helmet.

The machine zapped my synapses. I grit my teeth as the usual migraine built. The desire for water beat out the pain, and my hand moved on its own to touch my throat. My wrist stuck. Metallic cuffs trapped my forearms to velvety armrests.

I shut my eyes and clenched my fists. The drip-dripping worsened the pain in my head. I envisioned the somber waves of the nighttime sea, the roar of a waterfall, and the pitter patter of rain on pavement.

The whirring ended, and the migraine waned to a pounding headache. A rough grip unclasped the chin strap and dropped the contraption on the side table. My head lolled once the support of the man's hand retracted.

"Repeat what you saw," the man stated.

Plastic wheels rolled over tile. A woman's voice said, "I saw her talking to this... dragon. It was red and impossibly large. She- her anger reminded me of a feral animal, sir. I'm not sure if it's safe to have her as a field agent."

The man laughed. The grating sound raised goosebumps. Those rough fingers pressed into my neck to lift my head. I grimaced. He asked, "What do you want, girl? To go free? To attack me?"

My lips cracked when I opened my mouth. My voice bounced from pitch to pitch. "Water. A drop."

He let go. "The dehydration drove her to delirium. This subject is as dangerous, clever, and defiant as cattle. Her simplemindedness makes her the ideal candidate for field agent. Alas, we need her here until we find what we're looking for."

He jerked my head up. His sharp green eyes burned holes through mine. "Understand, darling? You can have your water and walk free. Show us the memory we're searching for. Show us the Spirit World."