Chapter 4 : Twigs Snapping In The Dark

Lily slowed down her breathing and read the note over again.

"Body under floorboards, that can mean anything right?"

She whispered at herself, becoming calm. It could mean a body of water, or that thing she learned about at school. It seemed so long ago, that school was going on. She wondered if maybe they were teaching surviving little ones reading and writing, she hoped so. The moon became darkened with a nearby cloud sending a small shudder down Lily's spine. The wind rustled through the trees making a light mourning sound, like a hurt dog. She looked around wondering what to do next; she could go home and sleep or walk around some more.

"I will explore."

She said out loud. The walked along the graveyard passing by more stones and running her finger along the edges. Humming a silent tune she observed crows and an occasional owl in the trees. It was a comforting thought to know something’s were still alive. She laughed remembering her mother's words to not walk around alone at night. How ironic was that she was doing it right know.

Her thoughts were filled with an aching desire, a desire to be held and understood. She just wanted a hug from someone, her mother mostly. She loved her little brother but didn't want to think about it much. Her father was a good person but she never really liked him. Her whole family was gone besides her little sister, but this was something not to be worried about now.

"I just want something good to happen for once!"

She screamed and arched her back for more voice. She just couldn't deal with all the waiting. She didn't want life to be this way; she wanted excitement, tests, homework, anything! A cool wind pushed her long dark hair from her face and some crows shrieked in the corner. She heard a small rustling in the trees, maybe even a twig snapping. She spun around afraid.

"Who's there?"

She called out but stopped herself. What if it was some crazed person like the woman she met earlier? She jumped down on her knees evaluating the world around her. Nothing seemed to be moving, even the wind stopped blowing, and it was creepy. She slowly crept along the ground and leaned against a tombstone the mud getting on her jacket.

Another twig snapped, closer this time.

Her heart pounded in her chest, she pulled out her water bottle for defense and got her fist ready.

"One."

She counted.

"Two!"

She breathed.

"Three!"

She shouted and jumped out of her hiding place. She slammed right into...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey my fellow readers, I left a cliff hanger and a short chapter. I will update today and you will see who it is. Question: Who do you think it is? Also a round of applause to my very queer wattpader friend! :)