Chapter 5: Murder

Lily held her breath as they flew through the old city. Sometimes she swore she could see a person walking along the snow covered sidewalks but they went too fast to make sure. Jackson played with his fingers in his lap, twirling them around like something her grandfather did. She was curious about his eyes, the grey shifting like clouds, dark and then light again. Her heart thumped in her chest and she closed her eyes.

She hadn't realized she had fallen asleep.

"Where here."

Jackson nudged her gently with his palm; she opened her eyes to her head on his right shoulder. She startled, quickly got up and observed her surroundings. Fiery red bonfires were lit in many garbage cans and a pungent smell seemed to be coming from a nearby building. People, mostly hidden from view in large overcoats were scattered along the streets, some warming their hands by the fire and others seeming motionless on the floor.

"Where, where are we?"

Lily hesitated watching the people with nervousness. Some had looked up for Matt had gotten out of the Jeep and unloaded a large garbage bag that bulged with stuff. She couldn't tell what it was. Something seemed to poke out of it; it looked disturbingly like a human hand shape. Lily shuddered curious.

"Come with me, and keep your head low."

James said quietly and seemed to evaluate her.

"Put this on."

He whispered, handing her a large black overcoat, it smelt awful. Lily also noticed they all put the same overcoats on and pulled the hood up until their faces were barely recognizable.

"What is this for?"

Lily asked confused.

"It’s a disguise, also you're an um girl and this place is filled with many men who probably will lust over you and well you know. Also this is a very discreet place, where trades go on."

Lily nodded in understanding but her heart and insides felt nauseous. She was scared. They entered the building, the smell making her want to gag. Torches were hung along the sides as the trio stayed close to her, seeming protective. They entered a room whose door was closed. She saw Matt's face harden. A man sat on a clean swivel chair his face pulled up in an eternal scowl and his eyes squinting from the lamp next to him. He didn't look kind, he looked in charge.

Matt unexpectedly slammed his fist on the table.

"Where are my goods, Stake?"

The man scowled impossibly further.

"I ain't got all you owe me!"

Matt almost screamed.

"Give me my goods, Tony! You owe me; I brought the last few bodies."

Lily was confused. Bodies? Did this have something related to the note she found? She became even more scared. The man named Tony or Stake's face grew very red.

"Don't come into my building and expect to get things you ain't earned! You didn't bring me any bodies, no one at all. You ain't gonna get nothin."

What Matt did next made her yelp.

He pulled out his gun and aimed it at Tony. The others did the same, James nudged Lily and she slowly, shaking toke out the gun and aimed it the best she could. Her hands were sweaty and it almost slipped from her fingers.

"Now let’s not get violent."

Tony said quietly.

"I have men and they will find you if you do something you regret."