☆five☆

If I could describe the next conversation between the four of us, I would have described it as chaos.

Fingers were pointed, voices were raised, accusations were thrown. From an overall standpoint, the Heelshires took Malcolm’s side over mine.

“We’re terribly sorry, Michael. We are going to have to fire you.” Mrs. Heelshire announced. I stood up faster than I could say:

“No!” I said, fists spammed on the table. “Why don’t you believe me? Ask Brahms!

The room went silent.

I never felt more embarrassed in my life, then I did in that moment. Malcolm let out a bark of laughter, stopping short to send me a glare.

“You must be beyond mad if you want me to ask that doll.” Malcolm growled.

“He’s not a just a doll.” I hissed. Mrs. Heelshire shook her head, subtly, as if to say: Malcolm doesn’t need to know.

I sighed, glancing at the wall that had a small hole in the wood.

“So you’re really just going to fire me?” I asked. The Heelshires glanced at one another, then at Malcolm.

Malcolm stood, “Let me have a word with him.”

I grimaced, but stood as well. Malcolm gripped my elbow and led me into the drawing room.

“Malcolm, come on. You can’t do-" I began, only to be cut short.

“I need this job. And I’ll be damned if you screw it up for me.” He said, lowly. My brows furrowed in anger.

“I’ve done nothing wrong! I’ve done my job as I was supposed to. You left Brahms and I up here for three weeks without food!”

Malcolm blew a breath from his nose, grabbing at my shoulders with such harshness, I believed he could have pulled them from their sockets. “Brahms. Isn’t. Real.”

“Yes. He. Is.”

Mikey?” Brahms asked again.

“Show him, Brahms. Show him you’re real.” I pleaded. There was a knock on the wall, just above my head. Malcolm glanced up, and then back to me.

“What does that prove? That this old house has rats?” He asked, angrily.

“But there isn’t any rats!” I exclaimed.

Mr and Mrs. Heelshire rounded the corner. They stood behind Malcolm, looking at me. I sighed.

“I’ll go pack my things.”

I was defeated. Absolutely defeated. I sat down onto the bed in the room I had been staying in.

I didn’t want to cry – (I did). Mainly because I knew Brahms was watching. But the tears fell anyways. The mirror in my room popped open to reveal Brahms, who I could tell was sad by the shape of his eyes.

I stood up, immediately running to pull him into a hug.

“Brahms. Tell them. Make them let me stay. I don’t want to go. I don’t want to leave you.” I said, sniffling harshly. Brahms hugged my shoulders tightly.

“I will try.” His voice was different. It wasn’t high pitched or child-like. It was deep. I nodded against his chest.

“Okay.” My voice was shaky. I could understand why.

A knock sounded at the door. “Michael?”

Malcolm. My eyes widened as I pulled away from Brahms. I pointed at the mirror, whispering quickly. “Go, quick. Before he sees you.”

He nodded and rushed in, giving me a final look as the mirror shut and the door opened.

I shifted my weight from foot to foot, waiting for Malcolm to speak. My brows furrowed when he just stared. “Malcolm?”

Malcolm shook himself from his trance-like state, blinking once. Twice. Three times. “Oh. Yeah. Why did you try to get me to ask Brahms before. You do know he’s not real, right?”

My mouth pulled back into a firm frown. “We will see who’s laughing at the end.”

He let out a scoff, eyeing the mirror.

“Quit looking at the mirror and look at me.” I snapped. “If you’re going to get me fired because of your actions, so be it. But the least you could do is be honest to me. The Heelshires believe you anyways.”

“I don’t like the new you. You’ve gotten… weird? Crazy? It’s like…” He stopped trying to figure out how to explain it. “It’s like you’re not even the same person, anymore. You’re not the guy who used to wink at customers and tell them to have a good day. You’re not the guy who used to slip lollipops to little kids and pay for it from your paycheck.”

“Well sorry to disappoint.” I scoffed. “Let’s recall who sent me here.”

Malcolm sighed. “The shop isn’t doing so well. The customers are upset that you left.”

“That’s not my problem-"

“See? Please tell me you see it, Michael. You’re not the same anymore. I needed to get you out if here. I knew you wouldn’t leave unless I did something drastic.” He said, eyes watery.

I frowned. “So you know what’s best for me then?” I asked. He nodded.

“Yeah! Yes, I do. I know that deep down you’re not happy here-"

I punched him in the side of his face. “Fuck you.”

Malcolm stood still for a moment, attempting to process what had just happened. When it clicked, he lunged at me, tackling me to the floor.

“Shit.” I wheezed, as Malcolm punched me in the chest. He started to hit me over and over again. Everything got blurry when he hit my head. I could hardly see the mirror opening.

I could feel a warm liquid on my hands. When I sat up to look at them, they were red. Blood.

I finally came to. “Shit. Shit, shit, shit!” I panicked, standing up away from the body. “Not good, not good, not good.”

Rather quickly, I tugged the rug from underneath the bed posts, rolling him up inside of it. I glanced down at the window, seeing Mr. and Mrs. Heelshire out at the little pond area, sitting on a bench half asleep.

“Brahms.” I said, catching him trying to retreat into the mirror. He paused, glancing up at me. “Can you take this with you?”

Brahms nodded and slung Malcolm’s dead body over his shoulder. I hurriedly made my way down the stairs, finding Malcolm’s keys on the table. I snatched them and unlocked his car, running on the gravel with bare feet in my rush.

I got in and threw the key into the ignition, waiting for something. The car hummed to life and the I threw it into drive, rushing it down the driveway. I got to the gate and I got out to open it. I didn’t have much time, no doubt the Heelshires would have heard the engine and come to investigate.

I got back in the car and drove it across the road and far enough into the woods they wouldn’t see it. Nobody comes up here anyways.

I ran up the driveway, and it was awfully long. Just as I was rounding the last corner, I heard the front door shut. I glanced around a hedge to see the Heelshirss, looking around for a car.

I hurried off to the back of the house, opening and closing the door as quietly as possible, running up the stairs with such haste I nearly tripped. Twice.

I threw myself back into the room, wiping off my hands and throwing my shirt in the wash. I looked at my hands, seeing the slightly dried blood. I ran over to the bathroom to scrub it off.

Footsteps approached the bathroom door. “Shit.” I said, under my breath as the doorknob rattled.

-

A cliffhanger? How cruel of me, muahhahahaha

jk

I just lost inspiration for this chapter and decided to come back to it at a later date.

-ghost