Chapter 6

The sun rose, spiraling its beaming light. It was a bright new day as I walked to campus from Sophie's house. I had ended up staying with her again, despite my intentions. I turned my head to look at her, walking by my side. She had insisted that I slept over after I had told her about the ordeal with my mom. I felt like I was always on the receiving end when it came to her. 

She then met my guilt-ridden demeanor. I averted my eyes.

'Nope, don't you start now.', Sophie warned in a playful tone.

'But-'

I couldn't let out another word before she shushed me. She then turned sideways to face me.

'What are friends for?', she said, looking at me earnestly as she held on to my hands. I couldn't hold it in anymore. I hugged her as tears rolled down my cheeks. 

'Thank you. I guess it just never gets easier.', I said, sobbing. 

'It's okay.', she comforted me, patting my back.

We had arrived at campus and somehow, after letting it all out, it felt like a weight off my chest. I could finally breath. And I was ready to face Zack. 

'You sure you're okay now?', Sophie asked, making me smile.

'Don't worry. Just go before you're late for your lecture.', I reassured her as she returned my smile. 

'Okay, see you later! Love ya!', she yelled as she strode off.

I love you, Sophie. Thank you for giving me the courage I needed.

I entered the main building with confident steps in my oversized hoodie, meeting my long black boots mid thigh.

I then grabbed my phone out of my purse to text Zack, before entering the lecture hall, another word for hell.

8:59 am -Let's talk.

I had typed but hesitated to send, my finger hovering over the screen.

What if he left me on read?

I pushed through my anxious thoughts and sent the message.

After five minutes of waiting impatiently on my part, I heard a ding sounding from my pocket. I jumped at the sound and the phone was in my hands before I knew it.

9:04 pm - .....

He had sent literal dots as if in thought. I chuckled. 

He sure was one of a kind. 

I thought as I felt my heart fill up with hope. After all, he didn't say no flat out.

9:05 pm -Okay.

He had said as we then agreed to meet by the campus park. 

After I was done, I stepped out of hell-

I mean the hall and headed off to the park.

As soon as I got there, my eyes started scanning the area for him as my heart pumped out of my chest. I was confused whether I was nervous or excited, when a bush of familiar brown hair caught my sight. A smile took over my features. 

Again, this was different. I knew there was something, but not what it was. He wasn't like my conquests. Otherwise, why would I care about what he thought of me?

I walked over to Zack, tapping him lightly on the shoulder.

'Hey.'

'Hey.', he replied.

I then proceeded to take a seat on the bench with an appropriate distance between us. I had a point to prove. At least, that was my intention until I started feeling my confidence drop. I was nervous.

'S-So um..', I stuttered then paused to recollect my thoughts. 

This wasn't easy. Being honest made me vulnerable. But, it was just this once. I could even distance myself for a while after and fix my façade. The real question was, why was I going so far for him? I could have chosen to ignore him, so why couldn't I?

'I am sorry. I can easily say that and even more, but that's not it, is it?', I asked, my voice shaking. 

He raised his gaze from the grassy ground to me and said,

'No.. not really.'

'You really hurt my feelings there though.', I admitted as my eyes started watering.

Just this once. I reminded myself. 

'I am sorry.', he said, looking back at the ground.

It took me a moment to realize how sad he looked, his eyes droopy.

'You're forgiven.', I said, grinning through my hazy vision. I couldn't bear seeing him like that. 

His hazel eyes lifted from the ground to stare at my blue ones for the longest time. 

I almost averted my eyes in fear he would realize my tears, but I couldn't look away from his warm gaze.

'I am seriously sorry. For everything. I shouldn't have just assumed that about you. Everyone is different and that's OKAY.', he blurted, emphasizing the "okay".

'To be honest with you, I felt horrible all night, I could barely get a wink of sleep. I couldn't get your hurt expression out my mind and-', 

He kept talking that I had no choice, but to interrupt. I must have set off an explosion.

'It's okay. It's okay. Breathe.', I said, giggling as my tears cleared up.

This was no more miserable. I was no more vulnerable.

He smiled broadly, showing his flawless sets of teeth. 

'When you texted, it was like an answered prayer because I was going crazy.', he continued as a winsome chuckle sounded out of him.

My heart fluttered as my cheeks hurt from smiling so much. What was it with me? Why was he able to affect me like that? 

Again, I had no answers. He was making ME go crazy with all these unfamiliar feelings.

I then realized I have been staring at him without a word.

'So.. friends?', I rushed to say, playing it off cool while extending my hand.

'Friends.', he answered, holding my hand tightly.

-------End Of Chapter 6-------

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Feel free to comment and don't forget to vote! Thank you and have a great day/night!