Chapter 11

'And yeah, there you have it.', I said, an upbeat tone to my voice.

I was lying on a soft, memory foam mattress beside Sophie's bed. That was funny because all I was doing while so was recalling 'memories' with Zack as if the mattress had played a part in that.

Sophie and I were having a sleepover. That was a fault on my part because as my bestfriend, she would definitely notice the heightened change to my mood. I was a giggly and blushing mess when I had showed up at her house. So as soon as I settled on the mattress and she on her bed, I spilled the beans before she resorted to violence, which was a tickle fight. She listened carefully, not letting a single detail pass by her. And, when the word 'kiss' came out of my mouth, a thunderous squeal came out of hers. At that rate, I wouldn't have been surprised if her neighbors came knocking down on her door, asking her to keep it down. Her parents were used to that and so was I, but mere neighbors wouldn't understand and we may have ended up sleeping in a cell instead of an air-conditioned, candle lit and comfy room.

Putting my dramatic thoughts aside, Sophie was fast asleep after her endless fangirling while I, on the other hand, couldn't bring myself to close my eyes. The way he gazed at me, held me and kissed my lips were all too fresh in my mind and talking about it with Sophie sure didn't help. Just remembering it made me feel like melting into a puddle. I have never felt that strongly for someone before, but it may not be such a bad feeling after all. It's a warm and fluttering emotion, of which I am grateful to feel. And, Zack won't hurt me. There was nothing to be scared of. Right?

I had that in mind until my consciousness faded: I had fallen asleep.

I woke up to the sound of my phone dinging with messages.

To my delight, Zack had texted me.

I smiled with my eyes half closed while clicking on the app to check the messages.

8:10 am- Good morning RaaRaa!

8:10 am- Rise and shine!

8:11 am- You'll be late!!

My eyes sprang open as the cringy nickname made its appearance once again.

How did he know about that?

I was in dramatic panic mode.

The only ones who knew about it was Sophie, who was still sleeping like a log to the right of me, and Jeremy-

Don't tell me.

8:13 am- Hey.

8:13 am- Did you bump into a guy called Jeremy by any chance?

It wasn't impossible. Jeremy was an early riser and would always be the first on campus grounds out of the three of us. And, Zack, from what I know, likes to go early to prepare for his lectures or practical sessions. He was that one guy with clean, washed test tubes ahead of any practical or notes on his desk and glasses, sliding down his low nose bridge, before any lecture. I could always see his earnest efforts which was one of the reasons I fell for him.

8:14 am- Yeah, why?

He had texted.

I knew it! That idiot!

Just wait until I see you, Jer.

As I was fuming about Jeremy embarrassing me, my phone buzzed with new messages from Zack.

8:15 am- I will be waiting for you at campus.

8:15 am- We need to talk.

After sending an 'okay', I rose up from the mattress to get dressed.

I had brought some clothes with me from home last night. It was difficult, but I accomplished the mission thanks to my so-called mom being out as usual.

I kept wondering about what Zack had to say as I pieced together an outfit from the clothes I had. With an off-shoulder grey sweater paired with skinny jeans, I was dressed to impress someone. And that someone was none other than Zack. I had hoped he would be blown away, but as I stood in front of him, he was nothing but serious.

'Rachel.', he called out as my heart skipped a beat.

The way my name rolled off his tongue was enough to make me speechless.

His expression then softened as the words I had always dreaded followed.

'Let's make this official.'

My racing heart stopped as I stood still in shock as if I was just slapped in the face.

That's what I was afraid of; commitment.

I didn't know if I was ready for such a thing and to be frank, I haven't overcome all my unresolved issues yet.

I like the way he makes me feel. He makes me happy, but is it worth the risk? I said I trusted him, but what if I do get hurt? What if I hurt him with my insecurities? I am scared of the face he would make and how we would run away from me once he sees how damaged I am. I am so scared that I felt sick to my stomach at that moment.

'Zack,', I spelled his name hesitantly.

'I don't think I can do this. I am sorry.', I said in a shaky voice.

My eyes burned with salty tears, threatening to fall.

'Hey, hey, what's wrong?', he said, pulling me to his chest, hugging me tightly.

That was when my tears overflowed, streaming down my cheeks. I held onto him for life, my fingers crinkling his shirt.

'I am scared.', I whispered, my voice hoarse.

'Of what?', he asked, stroking my hair.

'My dad..', I sobbed.

'It's okay.', he comforted.

'I don't want to end up like my dad.', I said, forcing my voice out through my tears.

'I don't want to get hurt.', I continued.

'Shh.. that's enough. No one can hurt you when I am here.', he whispered and that was enough to soothe all the pain and fear I felt. I realized I needed him and that I loved him enough to trust this; us.

I had calmed down after ugly crying for a minute or so. So much for blowing him away with my beauty. I indeed blew him away because of my outburst.

'Don't look at me.', I said as I pulled away from his hold.

He didn't even avert his eyes in the least, but instead looked into my watery eyes with loving ones.

'You're beautiful no matter what.', he said, wiping my tears away with his thumb.

I blushed.

'Let's ditch.', he then continued with a mischievous smile, making a smile appear on my tear stained face.

-----End Of Chapter 11-----

Hey guys!

Hope this chapter wasn't too sad. What do you think will happen next between these two?

Thanks for reading and don't forget to vote and feel free to comment! Love you guys and have a great day/night!!