Chapter 18

While Zuko and Aang were out on their trip, searching for the Sun Warriors, the gang was taking a break and relaxing for the time being. Katara and Kota were practicing their water-bending together while Sokka and Toph were out somewhere else. Kota could feel Katara's eyes on her, as if she could see directly into her soul.

"What is it?"

"Huh?" Katara snapped out of her daze.

"Why are you staring at me like I'm a jigsaw puzzle? What is it?" Kota asked, crossing her arms.

Katara sighed and motioned for them to sit. Kota stared at her strangely but sat down anyway, waiting patiently for Katara to speak. "How'd it go with Zuko yesterday?"

Kota's face dropped in shock, the memories of last night creeping up to her mind again. "I...I don't want to talk about it."

Katara sensed her uncomfortableness. "Are you okay? Did he-"

"No!" Kota blurted immediately but stopped after calming herself down. "No. He didn't do anything, really. We just...talked."

Katara knew and ended the conversation there. Not wanting to make her sister feel worse than she already did. After a few more rounds of practice, the girls decided to take a break. Kota wanted to take a small walk to clear her mind until she felt as if someone was following her.

"Alright, Toph." She turned around and sighed. "You can come out now, there's literally no point in hiding anymore."

As on cue, the young Earthbender came out from behind the pillar and sheepishly stood in front of her. "Okay, you got me." She then walked to Kota with a serious expression. "But, I just wanted to know if you were okay. I could feel your stress and sadness from far away."

Kota looked to her before she sighed and sat down on the nearest rock, patting the space beside her. Toph nodded and sat next to her, listening to Kota about what had happen with her and Zuko the night before. Kota tried not to let any tears slip out again, as she explained more of the story throughly. After she finished, Toph remained quiet, processing the new information.

"Can I be honest with you?" Kota nodded, wanting to hear Toph. "I believe in second chances. Like, I decided to forgive my parents for locking me up and keeping me away. Deciding my own future when I already knew what I wanted. So, if you know he's telling the truth about how he changed, you can try to trust him."

Kota averted her eyes from Toph's face with uncertainty. "I don't know..."

"Look, the guy burned my feet and I chose to let him join our group, you can do the same." Toph shrugged while nudging Kota.

"But that's different-"

Toph remained silent once again. "Okay, well somewhat different. Still hurt though, still got burned." Toph stood to her feet, dusting herself off. "You're a lot stronger than what you were back then Kota." She placed her hand on her shoulder. "Trust your heart on what you should believe in. Don't fill it with hate, because in the end, that will get you nowhere in life."

With that Toph walked away, leaving the young Waterbender to her thoughts and doubts. "She makes it sound easier than it is." Kota mumbled and shook her head.

~

"With this technique the dragons showed us, Zuko and I will be unstoppable." Aang explained as he and Zuko performed a dance routine.

When they had finally finished, the gang applauded together. As she clapped, Kota had a soft smile placed on her face. She really did enjoy the dance, especially the fact that Aang and Zuko went on a trip together without killing each other. To say the least, she was grateful.