- Chapter 8 - After Dark -

"Childe? Master Childe, wake up!" A voice called to him. Who was it? 

Squinting his eyes and hazily grasping onto a sliver of consciousness, the Harbinger that has been asleep for 3 years finally cracked his eyes open. Dark circles were heavy and tired under his swollen, red eyes. As if he had been crying all night long. His heart felt overwhelmed and his mind was clouded in confusion. Wait.....what happened? Where......? His blurry vision began to clear eventually, allowing to make out several faces staring back at him. They were all relieved, stunned and also struck with dizzying happiness. Some were celebrating and rejoicing, while others wept silent tears of joy. Childe felt his head throb a little as the agents helped him sit upright again. As soon as that happened, he felt a lump of something warm curl up on his lap. He recognized the small body of Teucer, who was holding onto him and sobbing relentlessly into the covers. As if he was completely dazed, Childe reached out a tentative hand and carefully stroked his younger brother's hair. A warmth comforting heat instantly overtook Childe and he, too, broke out in tears. How long has it been? Is he......still dreaming? Sparkling tears of both sadness, joy, relief and acceptance poured out; unable to be stopped. Right next to the crying brothers, Zhongli watched them with a smile on his face. He patted the ginger's trembling shoulders, before pulling him into a loving hug. "Welcome home, Childe." 

"Quick, someone inform the Harbingers!" One of them shouted, waving a frantic gesture towards the door. "Tartaglia has finally awaken from his coma!" 

"Master Pierro! Mistress Arlecchino!" Another agent cried out excitedly, running off immediately as if he were an arrow. "Master Pantalone! The 11th Harbinger is back now! He's back!" 

Childe watched the agents scurry about with their hushed whispers and cheerful gossips, planning to hold a celebration for all of Snezhnaya, for the return of their beloved youngest Harbinger. The ginger, who was still embracing his little brother, was unsure of how to react at all. Silently, he gazed at everything and everyone around him, trying to catch a glimpse of an illusion but to no avail. Maybe this time, he was well and truly saved, brought back by the people he would call family. Should he be touched? Or......somehow, frustrated that he had unfortunately......lost his own battle of inner conflict? He then turned to see Zhongli's face that was close to his, full of love and admiration. 

A warm, gentle touch caressed him. His hollow cheekbones sticking out sharply and his eyes looked bloodshot and sunken. Almost as if he was a corpse that had risen from the dead. Childe had to turn and look away, unable to face Zhongli in such a terrifying state. But instead of feeling disgusted, Zhongli used his hand to tilt Childe's face until they were meeting each other's eyes. Gold stared right back into an ocean blue; tension filled the air. After a few seconds of the longest silence, Childe then felt the most sweetest of kisses on his dried, cracked lips. 

It was soft and smooth. Passionate and loving. Childe melted instantly, all the weight of his trauma fading away like ash and dust. Closing his eyes and relishing this magical moment itself, Childe entangled his hands in Zhongli's hair, their kisses growing more desirable and wanting. An exchange of a long lost love between fated lovers, he missed this moment. It feels so....nostalgic. But then, they had to break the kiss when they realized a smirking Teucer watching them from his position in Childe's embrace. 

He seemed to be mocking them, even. "Well, now I understand why Mr.Zhongli wanted to risk his life for you. He loves you so much, big brother!" 

The former archon became flustered as he shifted his gaze away, masking his embarrassment. "Ah, yes , you do have a point there. But, I just don't see anything wrong in wanting to protect those you love. It only seemed right that I do this for Childe, because I love him after all." Teucer giggled at the honest statement.