Reefer Rick

Steve had offered to drive us all down to Reefer Rick's but I wasn't a huge fan of being squashed in the back. I hopped in my car and followed Steve's lead. The trees around the lake houses created dapples of light on the ground, if the circumstances were different this would be a very relaxing place. Pulling to a stop Steve hung out of his window to mouth THIS IS THE HOUSE while pointing at it, I gave him an overexaggerated nod and pulled in behind him. Dustin was first out then Robin and Max and Steve together. In an attempt to turn off the ignition I pulled the key straight out and the car kept running. My eyes widened, mouth pulled into a downwards curve that turned into a little laugh, well shit. I glanced to see everyone was already at the door of the house. Scratching the key around the ignition hole wildly trying to get it in to turn the car off I started panicking about being left behind. A further glace reveled they were heading into the boat house. The key caught on the hole then went left of it and finally slid in. I turned the car off, scrambled out and ran down the bank towards the boat house picking up some serious speed.

SLAM! I clattered through the door  tripping on my way in. Everyone flinched, I turned left to see Steve pinned to the wall with a broken glass bottle held at his neck by Eddie, who was breathing like he'd just fought off a bear. "Bad time?" I asked pointing as if to suggest I should come back later. The bottle dropped from Eddie's hands as he stumbled over and grabbed me into a bear hug. I stood at first arms by my side confused then I wrapped my arms around him. 

"Eddie we just want to talk" Dustin spoke slowly towards him as if he were as scared animal. Letting go of me Eddie turned, walked and sat down on a beam. His facial expression was a one of sorrow and heartbreak, his shoulders were slumped and his hands hung limp between his legs.

"We want to know what happened" Robin had gotten down to his height to speak to him.

Sniffing Eddie replied "you won't believe me" his voice was thick with the sound of tears, like his sadness had pooled on his tongue. He explained ,after encouragement from those around, as he told us the events that had occurred that night his voice crackled and broke with fear and pain, he stuttered a couple of times as he held in sobs. "I ran away" as he said it his eyes glazed over, glossy with tears. He was distant for a moment as if elsewhere, not in a thoughtful way but a much more alive way which caused his brows to furrow and his lip to twitch.

 Much like Eddie it was my first time hearing most of the stuff those guys had to say, things about another world hidden beneath Hawkins and it bleeding into our world. Monsters who invade our world, who according to Dustin had come before in the form of particles like dust. 

" I tried to wake her man but it was like she was in a trance or something" Dustin's head lifted at Eddie's claim and he responded "Or a curse". The two came to what seemed to be a morbid realization that what they believed we were dealing with was an undead creature of great power called Vecna a powerful spell caster. The air seemed to run cold at the mention of it and the group stood looking at one another wide eyed. I caught Eddie's gaze for just a second, he was looking up through his eyebrows and the fleeting look of hopelessness made my heart twinge. I wished I could take away his guilt and show him there was nothing he could've done for her. 

" No offence Eddie but this place sucks ass" I cut into the silence trying to take and edge off the seriousness. 

"Sorry Y/N the closest Hilton was fully booked" he cocked his head at me as if to ask me if I was being serious.

"What would you have paid them with, guitar picks?" with that last comment a small smile grew in the corner of his mouth, even if I could take his pain away momentarily that would be good enough for me.