Jill and Ben

Amelia's pov

The man sits in front of me, looking at me strangely. "Hello, Amelia. I've been looking for you for quite a long time."

"Oh really? Cause last I remembered, you didn't give a damn about me or my mother."

He shrugs. "It's true, I never did care for your mother. It was disappointing to lose her though. Especially when she took my only daughter with her."

"I was there until I was, what, five? You never visited me."

He tsks. "That's not true. The first time I visited you was when you were born. The second time, you were one. The last time, you were two. After that you got annoying."

I scoff. "Yeah, well, if you're done then let us go." He stands up and walks around.

"No, no. I'm not done with you two. There's a few things I want from your parents. As long as I have you two, I can get what I want from them. Don't worry, Caleb will take great care of you."

He claps his hands then turns around and leaves.

Caleb is just leaning against the wall by the door, playing with a butterfly knife. His brown hair moving just slightly with every movement.

Every once in a while he'll drag his eyes over to us, just to make sure we're not escaping.

He's literally so annoying, and he doesn't even say anything.

He gets a text on his phone and walks out the door without so much as a glance in our direction.

"Viviane? Are you okay?" It takes so long for her to answer that I'm sure if she heard me. Her voice sounds like something scraping against rusted metal, but also void of any emotion.

"I remember." The words are barely a breath. I've never heard her like this before. "What?" I ask her. "He made me watch as he killed them." "Viv, killed who?" "My parents."

Viviane's pov

"I remember." My words are barely a breath. "What?" She asks me. "He made me watch as he killed them." She's silent for a moment. "Viv, killed who?"

A singular tear falls from my eyes. "My parents." The two words pain me more than anything ever has. "Jill and Ben?" I haven't heard they're names in 10 years.

10 years ago

I can hear them whispering through the crack in the door. They're fighting about something. I don't know what until I listen in while hiding behind the door.

"So, what, we're just gonna let it go?" Mom whisper-shouts angrily. "Yes, Livia, we are. We can't risk a whole underground war over this." "They started it, Leon." "Some things have to be sacrificed."

"They stole Viviane's parents ashes, Leon. All she has left of them." "Viviane doesn't need to know." "Listen to yourself. Who are you? Jill and Ben were good people and they gave birth to Viviane."

"Do you think she even remembers them?" We're her parents now, I doubt she even remembers their voice." She slaps him across the face. "Never speak like that again, Leon. She may not remember them the more she grows up but she will remember every detail in her uncontioustess

Just like she remembered them when she first came here. Remember when she sobbed their names until she fell asleep every night? I sure as hell do."

Uncle Ian jumps in. "Okay, let's calm down. We can't risk getting the ashes back, alright? I am sorry, Livia, but it's too risky. Viviane will understand when she's older." He turns to dad. "And you, Leon, are being an ass. Get it together, Leon."

"So we're just gonna leave Jill and Ben in the hands of our enemies?" Mom asks. "We can't risk it. They're no longer with us, but everyone else in this house is. I won't risk everyone here." "Fine, Ian, whatever, but you two are going to explain why Viviane has nothing left of her parents."

Present

I can still remember how dad and Ian sat down with me, bought me ice cream, and explained one of the worst things I've ever heard. I still remember how it felt to realize I had nothing left of them. They were really truly gone.

"Yes." I answer her question. "Jill and Ben." My voice breaks on their names. "I'm so sorry. I thought you didn't remember anything about them?" "I lied." I finally admit, after all these years.

"Could you describe them to me?" Her words are soft. She's trying to help, maybe it will help to talk about them. I can try it, but do I really want to? It's Amelia, she has my complete trust.

"My mo- Jill, had curly brown hair and eyes. She was warm and kind, a lot like Livia. They would've been really good friends. She was always smiling, Ben too. They were in love with each other, and they both loved me. I was their everything, as they put it.

There's so many words I could use to describe them, all of them good. My dad had the same featured as my mother, the same heart too. They were the kindest people on earth. I miss them."

Amelia waits a minute to respond. "They sound amazing, Viv. And, you can call them 'mom' and 'dad' Leon and Livia won't mind. They love you, weather you're adopted or not."

"I know that. They've never made me feel any different. Mom tells me I'm her first born and the one who made her a mother, even though that's technically Val." "It's not Val, Viviane. It's you. You're their first child."

"Do you think their ashes are still out there somewhere?" "I'm not sure, but if they are, Livia and Leon will find them. Eventually." "I hope you're right."

"How long do you think it's been?" I ask her after an hour. "I'm not sure." Someone comes barging into the room. It's Caleb. He throws the door closed behind him and sits down on a chair by the wall, messing with his butterfly knife again.

"What's wrong with you?" Amelia asks him. He glares at her. "Shut up."

Maybe he's mad because our parents found out where we are.

I hope they did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey! Like I said in the last book, this one isn't already finished so it's gonna take me a little longer to update. I'm sorry! There's a lot of things going on in my life right now, but I will try to update at least once a day!