He's just a child.

Midoriya looked down at his hands, eyes blank as he processed the fact that his Quirk made a 200 year old supervillain want his head on a pike, the only sound the thunder ripping through the sky. 

"Why didn't he tell me?" He said softly, the lights flickering and emergency generators kicking in.

Amahiko said fuck it to professionalism and pulled Midoriya into a hug. "I don't know but I swear I'll find out." 

Shouta's eyes were flickering red, hair a bit wavy on the tips as his quirk raged against his control. 

The two teachers had done their best to tell him gently, but there really is no way to truly soften the blow that a madman wants you dead for something that happened two hundred years ago. 

"I don't… I knew I needed a quirk to be a hero but if I had known, I would have considered it a bit more." 

"The hell are you talking about?" Amahiko said. "You don't need a quirk to be a hero. And take that from the guy born in ancient Greece and having met a lot of people. You can have been a hero with or without a quirk." 

"I fight quirkless most of the time." Aizawa said, finally getting his quirk semi-under control. "And Sir Nighteye can only use his quirk once a day on a single person and you don't see him only taking down one lone villain at a time." 

Midoriya looked on the edge of hopeful tears and Amahiko wondered if he needed more frequent sessions with Hound Dog. 

"I can?" Midoriya said. 

"Of course." Amahiko said. "In fact, you remind me of someone I knew very well a long time ago. She was a genius. Pure unadulterated genius. She is the reason I'm alive today and I can't tell you how many times she put me on the ground during our spars. And you know what, she did it without anything other than her body and her brain." 

Midoriya was listening raptly now, even as his face was tucked into Amahiko's chest. The god made sure to generate the sounds of a heart and blood flow. He had been told it was a bit unnerving to not hear that when being comforted. 

"You remind me of her. A lot. Especially when she was the same age. Driven, intelligent, ready to prove herself to the world. And just  like her, I have full confidence that you are going to be great." Amahiko leaned back just enough to tip Midoriya's head up to look him in the eye. "With, or without, a quirk." 

"Thank you, Amahiko-sensei." Midoriya said. 

"You can drop the sensei after hours, kid." 

"Izuku." 

"Okay." Amahiko said.