The child behind the dumpster

"Oh fuck." 

The boy jerked, skittering away from the speaker, trying to compress himself between the dumpster and the wall so the stranger couldn't reach. 

"Hey, hey, hey, kid. It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you. It's okay. I'm sorry." 

The speaker wasn't that much older than him, middle school age maybe, younger even,  with long black hair tied in loose bun and bright green eyes. 

"My name is Amahiko." The older boy said, taking a seat on the dirty alley street. "If you come out I can help get that thing off you. I promise." 

The boy felt his heart begin to slow. Strangers were kind until they found out so maybe he could bolt as soon as the stranger had the muzzle off. 

Slowly, he inched forward, the 6 year old watching Amahiko for any sign of malice. 

Amahiko stayed still, not moving an inch and keeping his hands where the boy could see them. 

As soon as he was close enough, Amahiko reached out and just barely brushed the muzzle with his fingers. 

The contraption clicked open, falling off with a crash. 

"Isn't that better?" Amahiko smiled. 

The boy nodded, not wanting to speak yet. 

"Let me guess. Troublesome quirk? Scared adults?" 

The boy nodded again, fear in his eyes. 

"Every millenia humans find new reasons to hate each other." Amahiko sighed, and his eyes looked tired. "I don't want to pry but I try to do things legally first round. Do you want to tell the police about the muzzle?" 

The boy shook his head. 

"Figured. Look, I set up a place about 5 blocks from here. It's a neutral protected zone for street kids. Free food, a roof, medical care and protection until you leave. You in? You can stay as long as you need or until you want to leave. I won't trap you. I just want you to make it through the night." 

The boy considered. And nodded. He needed the food. He could leave before sunrise and find…something. One way or another, he refused to go back to his parents.

"Come on then." Amahiko said, standing up. "Can you walk?" 

The boy nodded. 

"Alright. Let's go."