The art of winning

Charlie Conway's POV

We were all getting dressed in the locker room, as my teammates were joking around and shoving each other into lockers. It looked to me for a second that they didn't even care about the new, stupid recruits. The hawks. They'll never be ducks. I mean how do we even know that they won't sabotage us and knock us down on the ice or something?

The thought raced through my head as I was putting on and tying my skates. Suddenly a solution formed. I'll just sabotage them first. I thought. Yeah, I'll make them pay for all the pain they caused us in the past years! A smile formed on my face as the thought of shoving Lyla swarmed my mind.

As we were all geared up, I heard the door creek open. I look to see who it was, hoping to be coach, but I was met with two pairs of sad eyes. Mitchell and Banks had their hockey gear slung over their backs, as the took in the surroundings of the locker room. They were met with multiple glares of my teammates, including myself. Coach Bombay soon followed in after them.

———————————————————————

Lyla Mitchell's POV

I took a deep breath and pushed the door of the locker room open. I walked inside slowly with banks following behind me, as we looked at the sea of green jersey's stopping what they were doing and glaring at us silently. This form of torture made my knees wobbly, and I looked down at the ground as I prayed for a distraction to happen so we weren't swarmed by the angry duckies. It took a moment but my prayers were answered as Bombay walked into the room to stand beside me and Adam.

"Hey. Wasn't sure if you guys would show up." Bombay says to us.

"Yeah, whatever." Adam said in a defeatist tone. I felt his sadness wash over to me as I kept my head lowered, occasionally catching glimpses of disgust by the ducks. It was excruciatingly awkward.

"We just want to play hockey." I mumbled as Bombay nodded. He then wrapped his arm around my shoulder, signalling for us to look up. As soon as I looked up I wish I didn't. Dozens of glared were set on me and Adam as we were being introduced by Bombay.

"Ducks, you all know Adam banks and Lyla Mitchell." He asked. I look around to see Averman scoot up to us.

"On behalf of the ducks, I'd like to say welcome-" he managed to say before being stopped by a hand to his chest. Charlie glared at me with hatred as he stood up, followed by Jesse.

"Cake-eaters." He stated, not taking his eyes off of me. It was quite unsettling, to say the least, but I also didn't understand why 'cake-eaters' was such a bad name. I love cake. Averman only chuckled and started commentating.

"Ooh, the char-man, dissin' the new guys! The char-ster!" He said, causing my mood to lighten up a bit as I smiled. Though, my smile was quickly swiped off my face as Charlie and Jesse yelled.

"Shut up, Averman!" They said in unison, still having their eyes set on me and Adam. I gave Averman an apologetic glance as he returned the favour.

"It's just a joke." he murmured, as Charlie and Jesse walked closer to us. I started getting even more uncomfortable by the close proximity, but I kept my glare set on Conway.

"Puttin' on a duck jersey doesn't mean you're a real duck." Charlie said in our face, trying to intimidate us. I didn't even try to say anything, so I just pushed past the boys, knocking their shoulders in the process. Jesse grunted in pain, but Charlie just scoffed and walked out of the room, quickly being followed by tommy, then Goldberg, and then the rest of the team. Connie, Fulton, and Averman were the last to leave the room, as they all sent me apologetic looks before following their captain.