Chapter 21

"Woah..." I said in shock as they brought out the cake and put it on the table. It was a small cake, but I haven't celebrated my birthday since my mom died, when I was 5 I think. So I don't really know what a birthday is. Not that much at least.

But the cake was beautiful. It was blue and it looked like the ocean, and I loved it. Then they started singing the 'happy birthday' song, or at least that's what they called it, but I immediately covered my ears and hid my face between my knees because Leo was pretty much yelling the song. After a few minutes they managed to get Leo to sing it without yelling, and when they were finished, Annabeth told me to make a wish and blow out the candles.

"But what if I don't have any wishes? My wish was already granted. Wait is that the right word?" I said, but quickly looked to Annabeth in reassurance of using the correct word.

"Yeah seaweed brain, you used the right word. But what was your wish?" Annabeth asked, sitting on the floor.

"Uh, it was to get away from Smelly Gabe and-" I said, before I noticed someone else talking so I stopped.
"Who's Smelly Gabe?" Leo asked, looking at us.
"His step father. He was abusive. Even I could tell and I stopped seeing Perce after his mom died." Hazel said, wrapping her arms around me.
"M-my wish w-was to m-make f-frie-ends that would h-help b-be their for me." I stuttered, now starting to cry.
"I don't wanna blow the candles out!" I then exclaimed, then buried my head on Hazel's shoulder.

Leo also came over to us, as and Hazel took his hand. Leo hated fire.

Leo's POV:

When Percy told us his wish, I was shocked. I also felt really bad for asking who 'smelly Gabe's was.

That was when my mind noticed the flames on the candle. See, my mom died of a fire when I was young, and I never knew my father, so I was in and out of foster homes and a lot of times I would run away, but lucky for me, about two years ago, I ran away, and I wasn't caught! That's where I ran into Thalia, who brought me into the friend group, helped enroll me in the school, and helped me make sure the police weren't after me.

So when I noticed the flame, and Percy put his head on Hazel's shoulder, I went over there too, because I had started freaking out. She put out her hand, and I grabbed it, but my legs have out on me and I fell to the floor.

The first person I noticed their was Percy. Which wasn't a surprise to me. He puts everyone in front of himself. Then I noticed Nico, and everyone else stayed back to give me some space I think. Eventually, I fell asleep, and I don't know what happened next.

I know I said I would do the birthday all in this chapter, but then this chapter would be really long and I can't be doing the same thing for long amounts of time. So the birthday might end up being another one or two chapters.