four

CHAPTER FOUR

BURIAL OF A UNREQUITED CRUSH

IT WAS A SURPRISE to Lily when she had found out that Belly had a date with the boy they met at the bonfire a few nights before.

As soon as the two had returned from the Deb tea, Lily helped Belly get ready for her date.

"I can't believe you're ditching me for some guy you met a few days ago." Lily remarked as she sprawled across Susannah's bed while she watched Belly apply some lipstick.

"I actually met him in the seventh grade." Belly retorted causing Lily to roll her eyes.

"Still, you're ditching me, the absolute light of your life, for Cam Cameron." Lily remarked as Belly rolled her eyes.

"You've had her for sixteen years, Flora. Let her enjoy her first date with a boy." Susannah scolded Lily playfully.

"Why don't you call up that guy you met at the bonfire? Uh, what was his name?" Belly asked as she tried to remember the boys name. 

"You met a boy?" Susannah gasped excitedly.

"His name is Elijah and yeah but it's nothing to get all excited about." Lily shrugged nonchalantly.

"Nothing? You have never showed any interest for any boy at all!" Belly exclaimed as Lily rolled her eyes.

"Because teenage boys are dumb and don't know what they want. Besides, he hasn't texted me and I'm not wasting my time with a guy who doesn't know what he wants." Lily explained with a shrug.

"Who doesn't know what they want?" Laurel asked as she walked into the room with Audra close behind her.

"Teenage boys. Lily was just explaining to me how she doesn't want to waste her time on a boy who doesn't know what they want." Susannah informed the two moms.

"Lily knows there's more to life than just boys. Besides, she's right. Teenage boys don't know what they want." Laurel shrugged as she sat down beside Susannah.

"That's true but most teenagers don't know what they want in life." Audra explained as she looked to Lily pointedly.

"I'm not saying you have to date him but why not hang out with him? He did seem really into you at the bonfire." Belly told Lily as she turned around to face her.

"You think so?" Lily asked hopefully.

"For sure." Belly nodded reassuringly.