30 - frank warnings

"Frank DiLeo called."

My back straightened from its slumped position over my crossed legs. One hand propped on the counter to avoid falling off of it whilst the other slightly tightened around the phone's shaft. "Michael's manager? Why? What's wrong?"

"I don't know. He just told me to ask you about meeting him tomorrow at his office in Ventura." Julie's voice warbled on the other end of the phone. "He said call him back for more information."

"Okay..." I slowly swept my eyes over the floor of my kitchen. Already coming up with a hundred and one reasons Frank might be calling me. More than half of them were not good. "Thanks."

"No problem. It also reminded me about that application for you to play another lead role in Michael's music video."

At the mention, my brain cleared from its fretting fog. Not long after the unreal night I rode with Michael in his fabulous car, Julie received a request for me to play co-star once again for Michael's next music video. "Dirty Diana, right?"

"Mhm. I need to know if you'll be signing on because they said they want to begin filming in March. If you're not going to do it, they need to host auditions to find another actress."

"Can I take another day to think about it? Maybe talk to Frank?"

"Yes, of course. Just have your mind made up by the end of this week so I can give them an answer."

A smile curved my lips upward. "Thank you so much, Julie."

"You're so welcome." Her sugary vocals responded, tipping towards teasing. "Just try not to sleep half the day away next time."

She was referring to how we were talking an hour past noon because I slept in late. Very late. But that was usual of me. A regular routine that I'd noticed was slowly being wrenched from my grip.

Being famous will do that to you.

"I deserve it on a Sunday. Those are sacred, you know."

"Oh, I know. But I can't keep taking your calls." She giggled. "That's not in my job description."

"What about your friend description?" I smirked. Although she couldn't see my face, she could hear the gesture in my tone.

"Hm, I don't know, maybe."

I effused a vivacious laugh. Previously stored deep within my chest. "Don't worry about it. I'll try to limit the sleeping in. I make no promises though!"

The drive was an hour long, and I felt horrible asking Julie to take responsibility for getting me there. Clinton was still out of town. And with him absent, I was having serious thoughts about learning to drive.

Though, with Julie driving, I was never bored. We jammed to music, played games, and pointed out the scenery. As if we were on a family road trip. Ventura was located much closer to the beach, so we spent much of the ride being mesmerized by the enchanting waves of the ocean. It stretched farther than the eye could see, it's deep blue pigment reflecting sun ray's off the surface. The ocean always managed to look magical. Like if wasn't real or belonged in a fairy tale. Our world was beautiful, something I felt people took for granted much too often.

We arrived at his office; a petite building with a welcoming exterior. Painted an ordinary ivory stucco, though looking freshly built. Palm trees surrounding it from a distance like some kind of security gate.

"I'll be waiting right here while you're in there." Julie stated while I was still seated beside her.

I nodded, suddenly catching that bout of nervousness. I could only hope I was walking into that building to hear good news, not bad. Fear of the latter occurring caused my slow climb out of the car.