19 - bidding adieu

"I heard you wanted to dance."

The looming glaze on my eyes suddenly cleared. I pulled away from Michael, the warmth from his body receding along with that faint minty smell. His hands remained planted on my back, so I couldn't move farther away. Yet as I noticed this, he dropped them, biting down on his lip again.

My pupils dilated when fixed on his face and before I could respond I cleared my throat of that constricting sensation. "I did. I thought I'd get the chance for the music video."

"Oh," His rosy lips twisted into a crafty smirk. "But you got to dance with me yesterday."

I put both hands on my hips and feigned an affronted pout. "I meant for the video. Just you and me."

"It wouldn't really be just us. There'd still be the director, the producer, the writers, the cameramen and—"

"Michael!"

Michael tittered at my exasperated reaction. I rolled my eyes, though lacking the genuine feeling behind it. His goofiness—with me especially—was amusing and enjoyable. I was glad he seemed to warm up to me enough to let it show through, the same going for me.

A honeyed guise engulfed his near anthracite hued eyes, paired with a soft smile. "Don't worry, you'll work with me again."

My eyebrows arched, wondering what in the world that meant. Was this really the end for me? Michael didn't elaborate, as expected. He was pretty good at keeping up that enigmatic reputation. It was frustrating at times, but it was also impressive. Maybe I'd learn from him and use his own tactics against him someday.

"So, are you excited about going to Japan?"

Michael made a face. "Going through the airport is going to be crazy. Always so many people."

I could imagine. All the bodies pressed on his sides, cameras flashing in every direction as people tried to get their first glimpse of Michael Jackson. The cacophony of people clambering for his attention.

I grimaced at the thought. A nightmare at best.

"I meant after that. What are you going to do on your off days?"

He turned and began to walk a slow, easy pace. I matched it in a heartbeat and looked up at him as he prepared his response. "Oh boy, lots is planned. I know we're going to City Hall to meet the Mayor of Osaka and I plan to visit Yomiuri Land Park before we move to Australia..."

I perked up at the familiar name. "Yomiuri Land Park? The amusement park? I love it there!"

He looked up, his stride unfaltering. "Really? That's great, when did you go?"

"Oh, sometime when I was modeling there. I can't remember when, but it was so fun."

He nodded, a big grin stretching his lips. "I'm also going to see some children at the children hospitals."

My own smile appeared and I looked down to the ground, attempting to hide it. That was such a Michael Jackson thing for him to do. It was so sweet and genuine. Those kids' days would be made just to see him walk into their hospital room.

"That's so sweet." I voiced my thoughts, fiddling with my fingers. "Those kids will be so happy to see you."

Michael said nothing in reply. Instead, he continued to smile, lifting a finger to rub along his bottom lip thoughtfully. Our legs shifted in sync, carrying us around the set until someone intercepted our path.

Sam Emerson gave a short wave to the pair of us and we halted. "Would now be a good time to take that group photo with the cast?"

Michael's eyebrows lifted. "Oh, yes of course!"