Twelve.

Twelve:

Restraints

____________________

"Oh, Maisy!" Eric called up the stairs with a shit-eating grin plastered on his face, hiding a special something behind his back.

Maisy sighed, a tad annoyed that her tea party was being interrupted, but grabbed Teddy and went to see her brother nonetheless.

She climbed down the stairs, one at a time. She still doesn't understand how people manage to use only one foot per step.

"I've got a surprise for you!" Eric sang, whatever he was hiding behind his back filling him with glee.

"A surprise?" Maisy's hopes lifted through the roof as she got to the step, but quickly became hesitant when she saw the looks on Beau and Cassidy's faces.

They didn't look excited, they looked exasperated with Eric.

"Eric, she isn't going to—"

"Shh!" Eric snapped at Cassidy, quick to cut her off before she could spoil the surprise. "Come on, Mais,"

He bent down so he was at her level, keeping one hand behind his back as he motioned her forward. It increased Maisy's curiosity, but as they say: Curiosity killed the cat.

"What is it?" Maisy bounced in place, starting to get excited. Surprises are always fun, right?

Wrong.

"Close your eyes," Eric encouraged, then as soon as she did, he placed his hands on her shoulders and spun her around. Then, began to slip on his surprise.

"What is it?" Maisy tried to turn and peak, but Eric stopped her before she could see anything. She could feel the straps on her arms and heard a little click noise as Eric fastened it on her.

"Alright," Eric finished clasping the front of the small lilac backpack and stepped away, allowing Maisy to see what her surprise was.

"Ooh, a backpack? Fancy," Miles came down the stairs, commenting on her fashion statement as soon as he saw everyone crowded around it.

"Backpack?" Maisy, still confused, tried to glance over her shoulder to get a glimpse of it. Wondering what they were speaking of.

"That's not even the best part!" Eric joyfully pulled something off the back of the bag, something that looked awfully similar to a—

"You got her a leash?" Miles asked as soon as he saw the tether, trying not to smile for the sake of the child.

"A leash?" Maisy sounded confused before she realized what the word meant, and she started to struggle with the clasp.

The clip restrained her from getting the bag off, and Maisy grunted as she tried to undo it. For a four-year-old, clasps and buttons are still very new.

She tried to rip the foreign item off of her back and the family merely chuckled at her failed attempts to get out of the tiny kid trap. Which, frustrated her even more. "S' not funny!"