Two.

Two:

Birthday Girl

____________________

"Light the candles," Cassidy directed Eric, sticking five candles into the birthday cake. An Oreo cake, as per Maisy's request.

"Where is the lighter?" Eric shuffled his hand through the junk drawer, the same exact one that it is always in, but he couldn't find it.

"It should be in there," Cassidy licked some frosting off of her thumb before going to wash her hands in the sink, glancing over at Eric as she did. "Did you look hard enough?"

Cassidy dried her hands on a rag as she walked to Eric, shoving her own hand in the drawer. It took her about one second before she pulled out the lighter with a big grin. "This lighter?"

"Go light the candles, please."

Eric grumbled to himself as he left the kitchen. How did she find it so easily?

Cassidy still beamed as she followed him, proud of her own power. Poking her head out of the kitchen, she stole a glimpse of Maisy at the table.

They were bombarding her with questions about all sorts of things. It was keeping her just distracted enough so they could get the cake ready.

"Alright, she seems distracted enough-" Cassidy lifted the cake in her hands, careful of the little flames flickering toward her. "Let's bring it out now."

Eric picked out the golden candles for Mais, thinking those would be the ones she likes best.

"Get ready to sing," Cassidy instructed Eric again, as they slowly entered the room. Careful not to drop the cake.

This is a very special birthday, Maisy's very first birthday since she came back to live with them. So they were doing everything in their power to make it memorable.

They even went all out with a birthday party. Balloons and streamers were still hung on the wall and presents littered around the living room. She got to invite her friends over earlier, much to her delight.

Cassidy elbowed Eric when he didn't sing, causing a shaky start to the birthday song. But all at once, everyone joined besides Maisy, who looked nervous.

The cake had been slid in front of her, and as much as she would love to admire its beauty, she wasn't sure if she should be singing too.

It was quite stressful not knowing.

But she quickly got over the topic, instead becoming memorized with the candles on the cake. Each one had a baby flickering flame, dancing up as high as they could go. Looking so inviting, and soft-

Extending her hand out, Maisy wiggled her fingers close enough to feel the tiny spouts of fire.

Of course, as anyone could imagine, it hurt. And no one realized what she was doing quickly enough to stop her.

Only realizing it when Maisy jumped back with a loud yelp, clutching her fingers.

Beau was quick to grab her hand to inspect the burn, although he was chuckling at her innocence. No matter how concerned he was.

She always seems to be getting hurt.

"Why did you touch it?"

"It was pwetty," Maisy mumbled with a pout, she didn't expect such a glorious-looking thing to hurt her. "I didn't know it was gonna bite me."

"Bite?" Beau laughed again, causing the little girl's cheeks to burn red. Miles had gotten to his feet, tossing Beau a bag of frozen peas to ease the burn. "Sweetheart, it burnt you."

He gently set the bag over her fingers, a smile still lingering on his face at her dismay.

"That's why we don't touch fire, babes." Cassidy explained, less amused than the boys. They had forgotten to teach her about fire. "It burns."

"Alright, alright-" Miles pushed the cake a little further from Maisy, assuming she knew not to touch it again. "She's a year older and a year wiser. Let's keep going."

He motioned for everyone to keep singing the final verse, distracting Maisy from her hand.

"Make a wish!" Everyone cheered and hollered when they finished the song, encouraging her to blow out the candles.

Although, now she seemed more hesitant.

But she shut her eyes real tight anyways, thinking as hard as she could for the best birthday wish she could think of.

Finally, she sucked in a great deep breath-

I wish we stay this happy forever

And with a sharp exhale, she blew out all five candles. Hoping her wish would come true.