Tough Choices

The next morning, I woke up feeling some relief. My abortion was booked for this coming Thursday. Maybe Elliot was right, that I should take advantage and get one while it's still legal here in New York.

Speaking of Elliot, I really wanted to text him. I wanted to see if he was okay. I mean, obviously he wasn't. He was still in the hospital. But it probably wasn't a good idea.

I got out of bed, put on a tank top and shorts, then sat down to do my socks, which was a pain. My feet were a hundred percent not cooperating today.

Once those were on, I grabbed my crutches and went down the hall to the kitchen. Homemade donuts with chocolate icing were sitting on the table.

    "Bon matin, Papa," I said.

    "Bon matin," he said, looking up from the computer. "You seem like you're in a good mood. Are you doing okay, Zuri?"

    "Yeah," I said, sitting down across from him. "There's something I want to tell you."

    "Oh no. Did something else happen with Elliot?"

    "No. I haven't heard anything from him or Kathleen." I took a deep breath. "Papa, I've decided I want to get an abortion. Our state doesn't require parental permission, so if you won't take me I'll get Lucy or an Uber to take me. I booked it for Thursday after school."

    "What? An abortion?" My dad closed his laptop. "I'm not upset, just very surprised. What made you change your mind?"

    "I just think this is the right choice for me. You really can't pay for all my medical bills either. All my doctors' appointments, let alone actually giving birth will cost you a fortune. And then we'll have a baby to feed and clothe and everything else. With everything going on, you know, with Elliot, this seems like the best decision."

    "And you don't want to do adoption, either? Are you sure?"

    I shook my head. "I think it may just be better if I don't have to go through part of my senior year pregnant. I can't go on the Paris trip if I'm pregnant."

    My dad sighed. "Okay. As much as I was looking forward to a baby, this is ultimately your decision and not mine. I can take you. I just have to leave work a little early. I can stay late on Friday to make up the time."

    "Thanks Papa."

I spent the rest of the day trying to keep myself busy and focusing on things that weren't Elliot. But it kind of felt like he was everywhere. Pictures of him and I were the home and lock screen on my phone, my profile picture on Facebook and Instagram, and we made so many cute TikToks together.

I had all sorts of gifts and cards from him in my room. I literally saved every single card from him since we were eleven.

I thought getting out of the house would be a good idea, so Lucy picked me up, then went to Emmi's apartment and brought us both to the nature preserve. We laid out a little picnic of things thrown together from our houses. My contributions were some cans of Pepsi and a half-eaten tube of pizza-flavored Pringles.

    "You know, my sister had an abortion two years ago, when she was dating that dickbag, Rocky," Lucy said.

    I laughed. "Oh, I'll never forget your stories about Rocky."

    "The pot brownies at your Fourth of July party was the best one," Emmi said.

    Lucy rolled her eyes. "Don't even get me started. Anyway, she said it was the best decision she ever made. She don't need no man. She don't need no baby. And guess what? She's running her salon all on her own and she's killing it."