Those Next Hours

I found my way to my locker, where I usually met Emmi and Lucy. There was a bench right across from it where we would sit and hang out. They were both already there by the time I collected myself and got inside. They looked up when they saw me coming. I read like a book, and they could obviously see that something wasn't right.

    "What did that boy do to you?" Lucy asked.

"Oh, it's okay. We just had an argument," I said, sitting down on the end of the bench next to Lucy.

"Girl, nobody makes my Zuri cry," Lucy said. "Where's he at?"

"I-I don't know," I said.

"Do you want to talk about what happened?" Emmi asked, looking up from her phone. "You don't have to if you don't want to."

"No, it's okay," I said, wiping away one of my tears. "I knew he'd be really mad about the baby, but I didn't think he'd be this mad. He said he wants nothing to do with the baby...or me."

The both gasped, jaws so agape that I thought they'd fall off their mouths and hit the dirty, gum-covered hallway floor.

"Imma beat his ass," Lucy said, getting to her feet.

"Hey, cool it," Emmi said, putting her back down to the bench.

"I just seriously cannot believe he said something like that to you," Lucy said.

Yeah. And that isn't all he did. But I can't tell them. I'm too embarrassed, I thought, hoping they wouldn't see the fingerprint marks around my shoulders.

I just felt like everyone would judge me for still wanting to keep this baby. I hesitated to tell Elliott because I knew he'd be upset, and I had a feeling I'd be going at this all alone anyway. I wanted to believe that I didn't need him, but I loved him so much.

Why would he do what he did to me? I'd do anything in the world to help him. I just felt so in shock, still. My entire world was changing in a matter of hours. Yesterday I was in a so-called, loving and committed relationship with the love of my life, being as normal of a teenager as I could. Not even twenty-four hours later, I was pregnant, and most likely single.

I went through homeroom and math, then went to Mr. Jay's room, where I sat with some of the other special-ed kids. I was excited to tell Mr. Jay and my friend Tricia that I was pregnant, but not looking forward to seeing Elliot at all. Not one bit.

"Hey, let's walk together," Elliot said, meeting up with me in the hallway and putting his hand on top of mine.

"No way! Get lost. I don't want to walk with you after this morning!" I said.

I thought it would make him apologetic, but it seemed like it only made him more upset.

"Are you kidding me? You're really upset about that? I grabbed you one time! Big deal. Maybe if you didn't act the way you did we wouldn't have had an argument. You never talk to me."

"Stop making excuses for yourself! My shoulders are legitimately still sore and it's been like three hours."

He scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Yeah right. I didn't hurt you like that."

"Who the hell are you to tell me how to feel? I'm not making up the fact that I'm sore."

"God, Zuri. You're such a baby. Just walk with me," he said.

"No. I never want to see you again, let alone walk with you after how you acted today."

He tried to put his arm around me, but I moved away. I couldn't speed-walk on a normal day, let alone in these crowded hallways. It was no use. All I could do was look away from him. I felt so trapped.

I walked into Mr. Jay's room and sat next to Tricia. She had a picture book in front of her.

"Hi Zuri!" she said, giving me that bright, million-dollar smile.

"Hey Trish," I said, pulling out my chair and getting myself settled.

I noticed Elliot sitting down across from me, clearly starting to cry. He ran out of the room, and Mr. Jay followed him. Tricia was clearly looking on.

"Are you going to read more Clifford today?" I asked, pointing to her book and trying to distract from the situation.

"Umm...yes! Mr. Jay thinks I can do the whole book by myself."

"I think you can," I said.

"Are you doing more writing today?" she asked.

"Yeah," I said, taking out my pens and pencils with the special grips on them. "I need to make sure my handwriting is clear enough so when I take my finals, I can pass."

"Hey, Zuri," Tricia asked, tapping me right in my sore shoulder. I winced. I couldn't be upset with her. She didn't know what happened this morning. "Is Elliot sad? Did you make him sad?"

"He's upset because I don't want to be boyfriend and girlfriend anymore."

"You don't want to be boyfriend and girlfriend? Why not? You said you love him! He's your prince charming."

"No, Trish. He was really mean to me this morning. He really hurt my feelings. It's not okay for someone to say they love you and then hurt your feelings. We had a big fight and what he did wasn't okay," I said, unable to hold my tears back. I wiped them on the sleeves of my crop top.

"He was mean to you? But he's so nice," she said, looking out into the hallway. "I really like Elliot. He's my friend. Maybe you two need to...hug or something. Say you're sorry. Like when Francesca and I fight."

I giggled. "You and Francesca are still fighting?"

"Yeah. Because her stuff is always on my side of the room. I live with a pig!" she said, crossing her arms.

I smiled. Tricia was always full of stories about her roommate Francesca at the group home, where she lived. She gave me another poke.

"Go hug Elliott."

"I don't want to, Trish."

"What? But you love him!"

"Nuh-uh. Not anymore." I shook my head. "He said he doesn't want to be with me." I looked around the room. The other kids seemed like they were on their phones or distracted with their own private aids. I lowered my voice anyway. "Trish, Elliot said he doesn't want to be with me because I'm having a baby."

"You're what?" she asked, a smile on her face, but also a bit of confusion.

I pointed to my flat stomach. "I have a little baby in my belly. Elliot is the baby's dad."

"Oh my gosh, for real?" Tricia asked.

I was so excited to tell her. Babies were her favorite thing in the whole world. She was always getting new baby dolls from the staff at the group home. I already had my eyes on one to get her for her birthday in the fall.

"I'm going to get an ultrasound and see the baby next week," I said.

"Oh my gosh, Zuri! I'm so excited! I can help you go shopping, and make the nursery, and help you give it baths. Oh, and I can hold it and give it a bottle, and—"

    I took a deep breath. Maybe everything would be okay. That was, until Elliot came back into the room and sat down. Mr. Jay looked at me with a stern grin on his face.

"Zuri, can I have a word with you out in the hall, please?"