Chapter 6: The Mate From Hell

I begin to stir. Laying on something hard and solid. I move my hands and feel...skin? Quickly I open my eyes then blink away the dryness. Catching glimpses of blue eyes. Then stare right into Ajax's eyes. His cheeks flustered. I gaze down and see that I found a way to sleep on him instead of the bed last night. Then I let out a nervous chuckle. Getting up.

"S-sorry. I wasn't feeling you up or anything." I mumble, rubbing my arm. Glancing to the couch. Vinmir gone. I stiffen. "Where's Vinmir?"

"The mutt went for breakfast."

"What time is it?" I question, glancing outside. Ajax gets out of bed and stretches.

"It is 10 to the two Suns." I stare at Ajax, completely confused.

"What?"

"10 to the two Suns." Ajax repeats, annoyed. Throwing his coat at me. I throw it on and we walk out of the room. Down to the lounge. Vinmir sits alone at a table picking at this huge leg of roasted meat. What is that? He grins tasting it.

"Can we eat before we go?" I ask.

"If we were not having breakfast then I would not have brought you here." Ajax grumbles, grouchy.

"O-okay." I mumble back. Shifting my weight around. Flopping down beside Vinmir. "Could I try it?"

"Mm-hmm." Vinmir replies, using his claws to tear some meat off from the leg for me. Handing me it and licking his fingers. Looking like he's in heaven. I chuckle. Taking a bite. Chewing. Processing.

"It's ham." I gush, eating the piece of meat up. Vinmir stares at me, surprised. Ajax plops food onto the table sliding a bowl to me.

"We quickly eat then make our way to Barenzith. I'm tired of-"

"I can smell him." Vinmir announces, hitting his arm on my chest knocking the ham away from me. I look down at it hurt.

"Your mate? In this room?" Ajax asks, glancing around. The innkeeper rushes over to us. Leaning over Ajax.

"The Banded Brethren have been seen around the forest here. I'm letting you know ahead of time that they will kill any Elf on sight. So please, leave quickly and be cautious." The innkeeper instructs. Ajax nods.

"Pashaari Na'ori. Thank you for letting me know." Ajax sighs out in relief.

The innkeeper places a satchel on the table. Grabbing a few more bags for us to put our food in. The guys work like two gears working in sync. Pushing me out the door and setting off into an unused path. Small patches of grass having recently been knocked. I slide my hand into my bag, picking at my food. Walking quickly behind the guys. Passing a small stream flowing through an old patch of...cement? I tilt my head in confusion. Vinmir's tail sways back and forth before it gets faster and faster. His ears twitch. He holds out his hand, crouching hiding behind tall weeds. Ajax makes me crouch down with him. I stare. Making sure my satchel is shut tight. Watching Vinmir's ears perk up and down. Then he raises his nose to the sky. Giving me a look.

"Is it-"

"My mate?" Vinmir questions, his ears flopping down. Popping back up. A twig crunches in the distance. I cover my mouth. Scared my heavy nervous breathing will get us caught.

"Do you smell that?!" A deep clear smooth manly voice asks.

"You're losing your mind, Sachi." Another voice responds.

"But it's...getting closer. Or I'm getting closer to it." Sachi, I guess it is, declares. Vinmir's eyes widen.

"Hey, you met your mate right?" The other voice questions. Branches crack. I see twigs get throw over us. Their shadows in the tall weeds. I mentally freak out. They are right in front of us!!!